Old 10-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Running transducer cable for transom mount...........

The instructions on my Garmin fishfinder say my warranty is void if I cut the cable from my transom mount transducer.

However, I would like to avoid running the cable up the transom and then across top of my swim platform since it would be very susceptible to damage when people walk or sit on the swim platform and it would also be downright ugly running a black wire across a white platform. (2003 1800 SR)

If I don't cut the cable, to accommodate the plug I would have to drill nearly a one inch hole either in the transom or the bottom of the platform. As much as I dislike cutting into the glass, it would still be preferable to going over the top of the platform, but I have concerns about being able to plug a hole of that size.

The platform is normally six inches to a foot above the water line but probably not when reversing or when there are several people in the rear of the boat.

Any suggestions? I tried to e-mail Garmin but their site is all screwed up.

CWERICB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
Admiral

there is actually a couple of options for you....first off...if your mounting it to the transom stbd of the outdrive....then your going to be drilling a couple of holes into the gel coat anyway....so..what most people do is run the cable straight up with only one d-clamp drilled into the transom....
the drill striaight up into the swim platform bottom..so it's not seen...yes it's abouta 5/8th in hole...but fear not....being really careful..and just make it barely big enough for the plug...use one of those half shell covers will hide the hole...but before you drill that into the gel coat...your going to fill the hole where the wire went with 4200...believe me ...that stuff is going to seal that hole up just fine.....now your going to get water temp...speed...as well as depth to the garmin...

the second method is to epoxy the transducer right to the bottom of the bilge...some people get the puck style transducer that has a coffer dam filled with either antifreeze or light oil....then the puck is secured into the dam....really does work well but won't show temps....speed...just depth....then you can run the wire up to the helm and the unit....make sure you find 12vdc on one of your acc. switches on the dash.....

also check my installation out...works great....

http://maxumownersclub.com/forum/galler ... temId=1207

Sp

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
Ensign

SP, I like the idea of the mounting to the windshield supports - hadn't thought of that and your plug looks the same as mine.

When you say "fill the hold with 4200" - is that some sort of fiberglass compound?

My only experiance with glass work cames from years ago when I tried to fill some rot in the cabin of a 34' wooden cruiser I once owned - I could write a book - anyway I cleaned out the 4-5" rot area and filled it with some sort of fiberglass compound and added hardener. Then, to form sort of a mold, in my infinite wisdom I clamped a board on each side of the patch while it hardened and went about some other business. When I looked at it a few minutes later, smoke was pouring from both sides of the patch. Needless to say I set a record for removing that patch and ran for some water. Live and learn...

So with my experience, any details of the process you could give would be appreciated.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:35 AM   #4
Admiral

well....first off...your going to fill the hole...try filling a hold with 4200 is going to be expensive....4200 is just a silicone sealant...you squirt that into the hole and your allowed to be liberal...you don't have to worry about setting the boat on fire..it will cure without doing that...

just remember to use blue tape in the areas your planning on drilling into...whenever you drill a screw into the gelcoat...be sure to counter sink the hole and use 4200 on each and every screw hole.....

let me know if you have any other questions...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 10-24-2008, 12:44 AM   #5
Ensign

Okay that is what I was going to use originally, but I am concerned about having about a 3/4" hole with just one little wire and a whole lot of sealant holding back the ocean, kinda reminds me of the kid with his finger in the dike. Sometimes I worry too much?

Won't be doing this until spring now, but I want to know what I'm doing before I start. The blue tape is to keep the glass from chipping?
Old 10-24-2008, 01:20 AM   #6
Admiral

well..it's good to get things together before you start....you can mount a shoot thru hull easier if your not interested in drilling into the fiberglass.....

also yes the tape is to keep the gelcoat from chipping but also the drill bit from walking....

so..when you squirt the 4200 into the hole..it will seal the hole and hold back the ocean...believe me....it will hold.....you can just be liberal about it..use one of those clamshells...it will look ok...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 10-24-2008, 01:24 AM   #7
Ensign

Sounds like a plan - thnx
Old 03-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to BayBoy

I installed a Hummingbird Matrix 3D last year. The Matrix has 2 separate cables, 1 for the transducer and 1 for the speed/temp unit. I ran the cables straight up the transom through a single hole (just big enough to clear the connector) about 6" to 8" above the water line (trim pump mounted close to the same location inside the bilge - careful before you drill), filled the hole with 4200 and installed the clamshell over the hole. Works great, no leaks.

BayBoy is offline   Reply With Quote