Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-28-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Looking to buy a 3100 SE

Hi,

I currently own a 2006 Bayliner 285, and want to upgrade to a new Maxum 3100 (Dealer has one in stock).

Are there any comments that other Maxum owners have on the 3100 or Maxums in general ?

Just 2 things worrying me right now,

1/ The boat has BII drives, but the Maxum Specs say that BIII's are standard (The same occured with my Bayliner, only I didn't find out till after delivery that I got the BII drive)

2/ The amount of fresh water seems a bit light at 117 ltrs. Do you think I could mount one of those flexible bladders under the galley floor and hook up to the main supply maybe to give me say an extra 50 ltrs ?

Thanks,

Wayne R.

pilotpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:24 AM   #2
Admiral

Default maxum

PP..welcome too the zoo and hope stick around here...but the questions your asking is funny...not haha...as in odd...I was just on board the 3100 at the seattle boat show and was impressed with it but there was a strange similarity too the bay 3188...I think that's the number...they have the serpintine couch in the salon....I wouldn't be that concerned about what drives are in it..the B2 drives are strong and swing a huge prop....I have a maxum 2700 and have been very happy with it...the 3100 is a nice boat and fit and finish should be excellent...the water issue should be fairly simple to remedy by adding a larger tank or...even an aux tank somewhere.....under the decks might be possible...but it depends on the size and if you can get aft to plumb the water lines....if there was a way too take the existing tank out and instal a larger tank...that might be the way too go...

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Ensign

Default Thanks

Thanks SeaPuppy,

Now for the fun bit,....I'll see how little the dealer offers me for the Bayliner Trade-in !

Wayne R.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:48 PM   #4
Ensign

Default How Does Maxum compare to Larson

Doing a bit more research here right now,.... I've just come across a Larson dealer who has a new Larson 310 for the same price as the Maxum 3100.

You seem to get a few more goodies with the Larson, this one includes these, all as standard.

1/ 5kva Gen
2/ 9,000 BTU Air-Con
3/ Zodiac Tender & OB
4/ Larger fresh water tank (179 Ltrs)
5/ Cockpit Bar Fridge

I'm in Australia, and the Larson dealer is 100 miles away, so I never seen a Larson first hand, just wonderring if anyone here had looked at the respective Larson model when purchasing a Maxum's and how did they compare ?

Wayne R.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
Admiral

Default larson

yeah..they are some nice boats...go too the larson website and look....wouldn't hurt you one bit in a larson....good luck..but also think of service.....100 miles away is a bit much for a tune up...or service call...
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
Ensign

Default Comparing Makes

Thanks Seapuppy,

Here in Aussie, we only have one main Maxum dealer, who distributes these boats to other dealers. This makes it very difficult to know if I'm getting a good price.

The only thing that I can do is compare different makes. Price-wise here, the Maxum 3100 (std config, 5ltr Merc, B2 Outdrives) is the same price as the Larson 310 (5ltr Merc, B3 Outdrives). I'm concerned because you seem to get a bit more with the Larson for the same price, i.e. 5kva Gen, Air-Con, TV/DVD, Bar Fridge as standard.

The cost of both boats over here is AUD 225,000 or 175,500 USD.

Can any one tell me if in the U.S., the Maxum (3100) and the Larson (310) would be close to each other in price ?

Thanks,

Wayne R.