Old 09-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Discontinued Parts

Hi Guys,

I called the Maxum dealer that Seapuppy recommended and he was a great guy as promised and he researched the parts I needed at the manufacturer but just told me that they have discontinued that particular color and i can only replace it with an off white.

The part in question is a piece of plastic broken. It’s part of the glide that secures the cabin door and stops it going too far. Attached is an image that should show you the part;

Question is, are there any like scrap yards for boats like there are for cars? In the past I've been able to locate hard to find parts. Any suggestions?

Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Commander

Default Re: Discontinued Parts

Ever been to Florida? LOL! They're on every corner on highway 19 heading south into Clearwater.

racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

LMAO :shock:
Old 09-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
Admiral

what's wrong with off white??..it was good enough for michael jackson!! :mrgreen:

SP irate:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

A hot glue gun works wonders if you can't find a replacement. I just used one for small odds and ends all around the same cabin door on our 2400SCR.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

I've tried the glue but as soon as the door shuts, it just pops right off. It broke right in the middle of the last screw that secures it. I could add another screw but I'm not sure what I'd be screwing in to. Last thing I want is to make a balls up of the thing...

Talking about glue, I went to remove the broken compass over the weekend and once I removed the screws I thought it would pop right off but it looks like someone has glued the thing down so it looks like I'm stuck with a broken compass.

Sometimes glue is the cure and sometimes a curse! :roll:
Old 09-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #7

The hatch appears to be grey, but the gelcoat is (basically) white/off-white. If nobody remembers the original color and you don't tell them, nobody will notice. I would be wary about allowing form and asthetics to supercede function. a little color difference isn't as significant as a broken part.

IMHO

Steve
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Point taken Steve. Thanks. I'll get on it today.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru
Talking about glue, I went to remove the broken compass over the weekend and once I removed the screws I thought it would pop right off but it looks like someone has glued the thing down so it looks like I'm stuck with a broken compass.

Sometimes glue is the cure and sometimes a curse! :roll:
Cymru, are you sure it's hot glue? Most of the time caulk is used to water seal units of most types to surfaces, so it may be that only some scraping and a clean up is needed to get the compass out. We have a compass but not sure if it works or not; we've just used the GPS and we're only finishing out our 1st 'break in' season so far.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Tommy,

Its in there pretty tight. There is no movement at all and I'm scared to try and get anything under the edge for fear of damaging the trim. I thought that I might be able to access that part of the boat from the head ceiling and just look at what was holding it in but thats another job in itself. I'll take another look this weekend ad let you know. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #11

On my 97 2800, I can remove the top dash section and access the bottom side of the compass from there. It's very, very tight, but you can get in there. You could also take a heavy masking tape and tape the eposed gelcoat on the top of the compass mount. Then, I would take a flat razor blade and start running it flat along the top of the compass mount. I would run the razor between the bottom flange of the compass and the top of the fiberglass compass mount over and over and over. I wouldn't try to cut through in one pass. Each pass will cut ever so slightly into the adhesive. The flat razor blade shouldn't do a ton of damage to the fiberglass. Who cares if it dings up the broken compass. After a significant number of razor blade circumnavigations of the compass, you should ether cut far enough into the adhesive to free the compass, or at least weaken the bond enough to muscle it out the rest of the way. This is where access through the dash with a pry bar might help. Provided you have a solid surface to under there to use as a fulcrum. who cares if you bang things up inside of the dash where nobody can see anyway. (be careful of the wires). I'd take a gentle buffing compound, or better yet a fiberglass oxyidation wax to clean up any marks you've made in the fiberglass compass mount. The flange on the replacement compass will most likely cover a majority of any marks which are left behind. They also make some anti-bond stuff that you might be able to use as well to help the process out.

There is no such thing as permanently installed.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

Hey guys, just wanted to update you on the compass. Your advice worked flawlessly. I used a blade and when I had enough room, I got a screwdriver under there and had enough leverage to pop it off. It was as described, stuck down with a waterproof sealant of some description. Sending it off to Danforth today for repair/replacement. They said they would do that at a reduced cost so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
Admiral

they seal them with 4200 silicone sealant....a bit of a pain to get off but it works....thanks for the update....

SP irate:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #14
Lt. Commander

Just wanted to follow up and let you know that I sent the old compass back to Danforth and they sent a brand new one out for $50 which was about half of what I could find elsewhere so many thanks to them too. Easy to deal with and very prompt.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #15

Awesome news. It still sounds better than my compass replacement. I bought a Ritchie compass just slightly too large in diameter for the hole. I couldn't widen teh hole because the windshield was in the way. So, I drilled out the rivets and disassembled the windshield frame at the helm, removed the glass, used a dremel to 'router' the hole wider, installed the new compass. Installed new a new window glazing gasket, resinstalled the glass and re-rivetted the frame back together.

Retrospectively, a little caulk sounds like a cakewalk.

Nice job and thanks for the update. It's the follow-ups that enrichen the content of the site.