Old 03-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2300SC or 2300SR

I'm looking to buy either a used 2300SC or 2300SR and having a difficult time trying to decide. I'm looking for a boat that is comfortable for 4/5 or 6 people most of the time but still would like to have maybe up to 8 people on it occasionally. I know 8 would be kind of crowded in the SC, but I'm also going to be going out on Lake Michigan relatively often which usually has some pretty good chop on most days. My previous boat was a smaller 18.5 footer with a cuddy, that I used to take out there, but was pretty difficult. Just was wondering if having the cuddy will make that much difference in this size of a boat. I know that with my older 18.5 footer, there were times that the cuddy really saved me when I had a couple of waves hit the windshield. I really have no experience with an open bow and am just a bit concerned that Michigan may be a bit rough for it. So my actual decision is based on comfort vs. how much chop or rough water the boat can handle.

Also, one of the boats has a 7.4 (bravo 3) and the other has a 5.7 (Alpha) with a 2 barrel carb. The bigger motor is in the SC. Is the 5.7 going to be a dog for this size of a boat? I'm hoping that it will get at least a top end speed of 40+, but not sure. On the other hand, assuming that a gallon of gas is going to cost over $4 this summer, maybe worth sacraficing a bit of performance. I'm not sure if there is a big difference in fuel efficiency in either of the two. Usually, on our Lake Michigan trips we run down the canals to access the lake, so will be doing a good amount of cruising with the boats. Any insight or recommendations will be much appreciated in this very difficult decision...sounds kind of funny, but yes I'm really torn between the two.

stanmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
Admiral

Stan,
first off ..welcome to the zoo..it sounds like you have a real dilema on your hands for sure....I'm not sure..but is the SC or SR the open bow...for me ...and this is strictly my opinion...I would only go out in an open bow if the water was really really flat...if it chopped up any..you and your pax are going to get wet fast....then there is the issue of can the bilge pump keep up with it all??...so..I'd seriously look at a cruiser...and a 24ft cruiser might be a bit too small for 8 people...something like a 26-28ftr might be more able to handle that kind of load...but I'm just thinking comfort....
as for engine and fuel economy...man...the big block is going to drink the gas fast for about the same speed...if you can find the same boat with a 5.7ltr or even a 6.2ltr mpi engine..they are going to be more efficient in the water than a big block....but again ..that's just my thinking...the 6.2ltr is a stroked 350 sbc...so your getting more umph for the size and basically the same hp as a bbc....

let us know what you decide....

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:55 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for your reply seapuppy. That's kind of what my gut feeling was telling me. I was thinking that I was better off sticking with a cuddy. The SC is the Cuddy by the way. As far as motors though, considering the dry weight of one of these boats is around 4300 lbs, would a 5.7 carborated seem a bit underpowered? I'm kind of looking for boat's in my price range up to maybe the year 2000, and I haven't really come across any that are MPI. Sounds like I need to keep looking...just starting to get antsy...
Old 03-06-2008, 02:05 AM   #4
Commander

One thing I've learned about boating is that it is rare to have your cake and it it too.

I like the way Maxum and Bayliner have their websites walk you through choosing the right boat for the type of boating you want to do.

When we bought our new Maxum in the summer of '06 (damn time goes by fast), we wanted an open bow sport boat for wakeboarding, skiing, tubing, easily towed, relatively fuel efficient and room enough for the wife, daughter, daughters friend and my sister in law and niece to run around the local lake and river. We found the perfect boat for us in the 1800-SR3.

Then we moved to Florida and quickly discovered that an 18' bowrider isn't the boat to have on the Gulf of Mexico and my wife is afraid of gators in the lakes.

Now we are in the same 'boat' (hee hee) as you. We want a cuddy cabin so that an over night down in Tampa isn't out of the question. My wife wants us to get a sport cruiser because she wants a head and galley and even room for four to sleep. that moves into a whole new bracket though, marina fees, fuel costs (UGH!).

I really, really liked the Sea Ray Weekender 24' that I almost bought at the boat show last year. It's like a cuddy Plus. A small galley, a small head, room enough for the fam and friends (small table to sit around), easily towed, and very maneuverable and it's not using the fuel that a sport cruiser is. Water sports is out unless you want to pull the kids in a tube (which my wife loves being pulled in a tube). Plus it can handle some chop. My lil' bowrider heads back to the ramp at 3' chop.

I would love to have a bigger sport cruiser for weekend adventures up and down the FL coast but marina fees and fuel costs just aren't worth it to me. The wife really likes the Bayliner Discovery 24'. Designed to look like the cruiser from the '60's it has a true head and galley, with cool forward windows but yet small enough to not be...um, too big.
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:25 AM   #5
Admiral

well..I started out with a bayliner 2455...then moved to our 2700 scr....the 2455 is a full up head/galley/sleeping for 4...2 on the vee berth and 2 in the bat cave or what is more commonly known as the midberth....we had it for 4 yrs...nice boat but doesn't handle chop well...
for engines the 5.7ltr carburated engine is excellent because of the torque.....good engine for the size of boat..specially with the B3 drive...that combo will be really really good in a 24-28 ft boat.....
I'd go for a sport cruiser instead of a cuddy...that would probably serve you alot better....can stay in a marina or trailer it home...just my 2 braincells firing off...
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 03-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Location: Commuting weekly from South Central Idaho. Got Water?

I have a 1995 2300SC and love it for the very reasons you have for your next purchase. My requirements were for a very open deck layout, allowing lots of people space and the ability to get kids/wife out of weather if needed, along with the occasional over-nighter. I have the 5.0l, slightly lower HP than the 5.7l, but still adequate. 80 gl tank, don't have fuel consumption figs but what the heck, it's only money, and the time I get with family and friends is worth it.

I have vesseled in large water (inland lakes of course) and this hull takes chop and surge very well. It even acts like a good sport boat when taking the kids tubing or skiing (very nice wake can be created without ballast).

I will post some images showing our boat in use. Check out the gallery Mad Max

Good Luck on your search.

"If you look like your passport photo, you probably need the trip"
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
Ensign

I really appreciate everyones comments. It sounds like the perfect (well should say best because like you've said cant have your cake and eat it too) boat for me would be a 2300 cuddy with a 5.7, preferable MPI, but those seem to be a bit difficult to come by. Most likely having a large group of people on board would be occasional, and most of the time, I'm thinking about 4 passengers. With the amount of cruising I'm thinking about doing, I probably should stay away from the 7.4. Unfortunately of the two boats that I've got my eye on, the open bow has the 5.7 and the cuddy has the 7.4, figures huh? As soon as the weather gets a bit nicer out here, I think I'm going to jump on the 7.4 regardless since it's a pretty good deal, unless I come across another similar one with the 5.7. I've really only been looking hard for the past month or so...kind of a tough time cause most have their boats in storage, but I really haven't seen much in the '95-2000, 23'-24' cuddy; and small cruisers, at least at this time for me, are a bit out of league. Hopefully, more will come on the market.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
Ensign

Default 2400SC or 2400SR

I have had cuddy"s for a long time especially with smaller children. I boat in N.E. Ocean, coastal and to the Shoals 10 miles out. The 2400Sr is really surprising for a bowrider. Maxum has done a great job on this boat. It has a 8'6'' beam and a very deep hull 22 degree deadrise. Mine has the 5.7 Merc. I use flat slats on the bow and it creats a cuddy but also opens for all the room. I fish and cruise and I love this boat. Have been caught in some bad stuff but never felt afraid or threatened by this boat(but dont'make a habit in bad weather) Its fast and it's fun. The difference betwwen the 22 and the 24 is like a compact car to a cadillac. Love this boat. We sleep on it also. For both worlds it is hard to beat. My boat is a 2004 they changed the stern in 05 i do not like what they did after 04.
Go MAXUM
Old 03-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #9
Admiral

welcome to the zoo allen.....and glad you like your boat....maxum does make nice boats for the money!!...

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang