Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Shopping in the 31 foot range

All,

I'm shopping for a 29 to 33 ft boat and just starting looking at the Maxum and have some questions...

Goal is for a twin, gen, port lounge, comfy cabin with open aft cabin, walk thru window and forward arch.... may not get all of those features, but that's the goal. Mission is for intercoastal cruising, with up to 6 people and short overnites, mostly 2, occasionally 4. Trips over 30 miles will be only a few times a year, with none exceeding 100 miles.

Would like to reasonably handle some gulf waves and be able to operate safely in up to 4 footers. And will spend a lot of time beaching at an island.

I've looked at Sea Ray, Cruisers, Chaparral, and a few others.

How does the Maxum stack up to the above, and what are some good options? Budget is $50 to $80 so I'm looking in the 2000 to 2008 range.

Thanks for the help.

Larry

Old 09-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Captain

Need to look at the 3300 SCR's if budget allows....older 3200's are same layout just smaller swim platform and rear facing arch....

Old 09-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaMax View Post
Need to look at the 3300 SCR's if budget allows....older 3200's are same layout just smaller swim platform and rear facing arch....
Hava,

Looks good, but doesn't look like it has the port side lounge seat. Surprising none of the 13 listing I saw on Boat Trader showed that, but the helm seat is too large. So, people tend to sit next to the captain, and for the most part I don't like that. I like to be able to get up and move around without jumping over people, so the helm seat is a must. If I were to do wtihout, I'd get the 310 Dancer.

Also I couldn't find the wt, draft, etc. It's amazing how people sell boats without any info and lousy pix.

Now, do you know of any years of the 3300 that has it? Thanks.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Captain

you can search ebay for every model made and check the pictures and watch the prices.

Youtube has video of sales of boat too.

I would not got 100 miles in a 10 year old boat.... so if you stay in 2007 and newer it would be less reconstruction maintenance.

Also, fuel injection is hard to find before 2002 on some models, and I would not want any carburetors.

Do you need an ice maker on the deck, generator, or two bathroom? It's just more junk to drag around.

I see 32 to 45 ft guys who can't go out alone, because its to much boat to handle solo, even to goto the gas dock.

two 5.7 MPI are the norm now, or 6.2, but nothing will replace a good old 7.4 mpi.....

Lastly, the EPA rules on new boat do not let you exhaust under the water anymore, so you have BIG pipes above the water line, with catalytic converters.

This is a noise solution, and really expensive to change out.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascavone View Post
you can search ebay for every model made and check the pictures and watch the prices.

Youtube has video of sales of boat too.

I would not got 100 miles in a 10 year old boat.... so if you stay in 2007 and newer it would be less reconstruction maintenance.

Also, fuel injection is hard to find before 2002 on some models, and I would not want any carburetors.

Do you need an ice maker on the deck, generator, or two bathroom? It's just more junk to drag around.

I see 32 to 45 ft guys who can't go out alone, because its to much boat to handle solo, even to goto the gas dock.

two 5.7 MPI are the norm now, or 6.2, but nothing will replace a good old 7.4 mpi.....

Lastly, the EPA rules on new boat do not let you exhaust under the water anymore, so you have BIG pipes above the water line, with catalytic converters.

This is a noise solution, and really expensive to change out.

Pascavone,

Can you explain that exhaust issue? Is that something recent? What year did that come out? And I assume old boats are grandfathered in, so you don't have to mess with them. My old Sundancer does not have that above water exhaust... in fact I've never seen it.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
Captain

Larry, my new dock neighbor just bought a new rinker 310..... Very nice layout for entertaining. I think it was a little pricey, and I have not seen the cabin. Keep digging thru the Internet sales sites. My next boat is gonna be a 2007 and up meridian 341......or larger!?!? I need the single helm here with our weather in az.....
Old 09-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaMax View Post
Larry, my new dock neighbor just bought a new rinker 310..... Very nice layout for entertaining. I think it was a little pricey, and I have not seen the cabin. Keep digging thru the Internet sales sites. My next boat is gonna be a 2007 and up meridian 341......or larger!?!? I need the single helm here with our weather in az.....

Hava,

Sounds like a plan.

I have a different mission and need to stay small, with shallow water, beaching the boat and just don't have the need to throw many people on board. However, I agree on a later boat... less to do. I've seen some really nice ones with less than 200 hours for less than half of what they sold for, and will probably end up with something like that.... just haven't nailed down the right boat, but close.

That new Rinker looks good, but I'll not buy new and take the horrible hit when there are so many great used boats out there.....
Old 09-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #8

Why do you specify it needs a Port Side Lounge? That is a somewhat odd requirement for any boat.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

The Rinker is the only aboat I know that has port side cockpit seating. Also, a ten year old boat should not be an issue for an occasional 100 mile trip as long as it has been well maintained. I have friends with 15-20 year old boats making 100 mile trips to Block Island regularly. I had/have a boat with a wide captains bench. I'm alone on that bench 99% of the time. An individual bucket seat is definitely a plus . Generator is a must. Ice makers are great if you are usually plugged in at a slip. My icemaker is my favorite item on the boat.
dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
Lieutenant

Have you looked at any 04-07 Maxum 3100. Has everything you are looking for, and in your price range. First season owning our 04 and we love it.
Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #11
Lt. Commander

i got a 3500sy is a great boat, may be a little over budget but it has plenty of room and it handles great. I would sell mine for the right price. I want a 4200sy.
rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Why do you specify it needs a Port Side Lounge? That is a somewhat odd requirement for any boat.

Shrew,

To keep folks from sitting next to me when I'm the Capt. I like the ability to get up and move around, especially when docking. Also, my girlfriend likes to stretch out there and snooze.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painter View Post
Have you looked at any 04-07 Maxum 3100. Has everything you are looking for, and in your price range. First season owning our 04 and we love it.
Painter,

Seen them on line and, yes, they look great. Need to see one in person. Do you have the 5.0s, which seem common. I'd be concerned that it would be underpowered, and hard to find one with bigger engines. Comments? Performance? The layout is great.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo View Post
i got a 3500sy is a great boat, may be a little over budget but it has plenty of room and it handles great. I would sell mine for the right price. I want a 4200sy.
Rdorigo,

Budget is not as much of an issue as size is. I have a 12ft wide, 13K boat lift that I can increase to 16K. Also, need ODs, as we have a lot of shallow water, and I like to beach it occasionally. I suppose I could live with V drives, but would have to be much more careful and would limit the usefulness.

I think if I went "big", I get into a 40ft with diesels... but that's a whole different life style that I don't believe I want. My goal is a comfy small cruiser, for up and down the intercoastal, with occasional trips less and 100 miles (more like 20), and an occasional overnite.

However, your boat looks just great... tons of nice features.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
Captain

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/boa/3351084006.html

this has been on the market for over a year... offer him $60k and I bet it will be yours....
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:37 AM   #16
Lieutenant

Larry,
I have the twin 5.0 MPI 260 HP with Bravo 3,s All kinds of power normaly criuse at 27 mph 3200 rpm best fuel consumption
3500 rpm 30 mph and wot 5200 rpm 42 mph
Old 10-26-2012, 01:44 AM   #17
Lt. Commander

thanks Larry, I owned a 2000 maxum 2800scr for 7 years, before this one, it was a great boat, so far I'm very satisfied with Maxum, too bad they stopped making them, but I guess this helps if you are on the market cause this drives the resale pricing down ... get a Maxum you will get a lot more for your buck! good luck!
rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #18
Ensign

Quote:
Larry,
I have the twin 5.0 MPI 260 HP with Bravo 3,s All kinds of power normaly criuse at 27 mph 3200 rpm best fuel consumption
3500 rpm 30 mph and wot 5200 rpm 42 mph
Painter,

What size/model boat do you have?

I've found that much over 10,000 lbs needs at least 5.7s.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #19
Lieutenant

Larry,
My boat is a 2004 Maxum 3100 SE
LOA: 30 ft 11 in
Beam: 10 ft 6 in
Minimum Draft: 2 ft 1 in
Maximum Draft: 3 ft 5 in
Bridge Clearance: 12 ft 9 in
Deadrise: 19 ° at Transom
Dry Weight: 10801 lbs
When I took mine over the scales it calculated in at about 13000 lbs with part fuel and water.
You need the 5.0 multi port injected engine which has 260 hp at prop as opposed to the basic throttle body model at 220 hp and more RPM. This has same hp as 5.7 carberated engine
and the bravo 3 dual prop drives as opposed to the single prop bravo 2 is a must combination.
Full water and fuel tanks with 4 adults on board with supplies no problem getting on plane.
I would say no need for larger engines.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:30 AM   #20
Ensign

Quote:
Larry,
My boat is a 2004 Maxum 3100 SE
LOA: 30 ft 11 in
Beam: 10 ft 6 in
Minimum Draft: 2 ft 1 in
Maximum Draft: 3 ft 5 in
Bridge Clearance: 12 ft 9 in
Deadrise: 19 ° at Transom
Dry Weight: 10801 lbs
When I took mine over the scales it calculated in at about 13000 lbs with part fuel and water.
You need the 5.0 multi port injected engine which has 260 hp at prop as opposed to the basic throttle body model at 220 hp and more RPM. This has same hp as 5.7 carberated engine
and the bravo 3 dual prop drives as opposed to the single prop bravo 2 is a must combination.
Full water and fuel tanks with 4 adults on board with supplies no problem getting on plane.
I would say no need for larger engines.
Painter,

Sounds good, however, I see NO down side to bigger engines. I still think once you're in a boat that's pushing 10K or better you NEED 5.7 fuel injected. I've been on too many that just are slugs.