Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-14-2021, 02:54 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Prospective owner 4100SCR

Hi folks, I am looking at a 1998 4100 SCR.
Over the past weekend I got to look the outside over, dockside. Thursday I get hands on and get to board.
Looking for the big “gotchas” etc. if you can give me some tips. Trouble areas to look at it would be much appreciated.
It has the 370hp Cummins engines and around 1080 hours (can someone tell me the model # ? ) Current owner has owned the boat for three years. Previous owner was supposedly a Cummins engineer in Kentucky. He performed the 800 hour (?) maintenance.
Bottom job and propeller overhaul two years ago by current owner.
Previously I have owned a couple of houseboats, a 32’ Wellcraft sport cruiser and a 44’? Cruisers Yachts Sport Cruiser so I at least have some experience for what it’s worth.
Wood rot, bad stringers, that kind of stuff is what scares me. Systems, HVAC, electronics, pumps, all the little things don’t bother me. I need “something” to do while the wife tans :-)
I know, survey survey survey
Thanks !!!!

Bad1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:22 PM   #2

You're going to want to hire both a vessel surveyor and a diesel mechanic to perform a separate engine survey. Most surveyors will add in an oil analysis (often for an extra charge). The surveyor usually defers this to the mechanic if you hire him for the engine survey.

You should be able to see obvious issues, like weeping holes in stringers, delamination etc. A surveyor will get into sounding the hull and taking moisture readings. You could buy yourself a moisture meter and take it with you to hit stringers around holes, cuts and bolts, as well as the deck around cleats, rails and rub rail.

Otherwise, just go system by system and look at it. Having had a few boats, you should be able to notice what is stock, what has been DIY, what looks old vs new and whether it look like the DIY work was done by a hack (wire nuts, electrical tape, lack of wire and hose retention).

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:45 PM   #3
Ensign

I also recommend a complete boat survey. August 2020 we found our 1998 MAXUM 3700 SCR. We looked at the boat twice and enlisted a marine surveyor. He arrived early with the boat broker and went to town. He accessed every spot on and in the boat. We took a sea trail and ended up at the neighboring marina where the boat was hauled and he did the hull inspection. During the test he noted a section where there was a possible delamination issue. We backed out of the deal right there.
The owner was notified at that moment and we all returned to the original marina.
The owner took the boat to a marina with a fiberglass repair location and had the hull further examined. The core test revealed the suspected delamination was where the factory had inserted dry concrete between the inner and outer hulls to balance the boat. We were notified of all the steps taken by October. After discussions with the fiberglass expert and the surveyor, we proceeded with the purchase.
The boat has wintered well. We have sanded, painted, washed, waxed and cleaned everything possible including the bilge and are waiting our turn for launch.
Even though we lost a short part of the 2020 season, we are confident that we are ready for a safe and successful 2021 boating season.
RSBeck is offline   Reply With Quote