Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-08-2021, 08:27 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default 4600 Engine start "PreHeat" lights on dash?

I thought preheat was for glow-plugs?

I'm missing lights if I'm supposed to have them by the keys. I just have holes with some disconnected wires on the back of the panel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-11-08 16_26_26.png
Views:	18
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	6958

kenyu73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:27 PM   #2
Lt. JG

You have not given too many details but if the boat is powered with Cummins 6BTA’s, there are no glow plugs. They are most likely equipped with intake air heater grids. The small indicator lights you are missing would light whenever the heaters are on. When key is turned on, heater starts and stays on for approximately 15 secs (indicator light on). When indicator light goes out, turn key to start. This system is controlled by a ECM which will turn heaters on/off as needed for about 30-45 minutes after start up.
Bottom line, remove this system before you lose an alternator. Maybe someone has already done that, therefore lights gone from dash.

cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:32 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Thanks for the information. Its a 2001 with 6CTA M3's.

Does the same concern apply with the preheaters? I'm still learning this motor so not sure if something has to be removed from the actual motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
You have not given too many details but if the boat is powered with Cummins 6BTA’s, there are no glow plugs. They are most likely equipped with intake air heater grids. The small indicator lights you are missing would light whenever the heaters are on. When key is turned on, heater starts and stays on for approximately 15 secs (indicator light on). When indicator light goes out, turn key to start. This system is controlled by a ECM which will turn heaters on/off as needed for about 30-45 minutes after start up.
Bottom line, remove this system before you lose an alternator. Maybe someone has already done that, therefore lights gone from dash.
kenyu73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:23 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Yes, I believe the 6CTA’s have the same pre-heat setup. It can be disabled by removing a 10 amp fuse located in an inline holder which is in the wire harness bundled up behind the after cooler. You need to go to SBMAR.COM where you can get an overload of information concerning these Cummins. There are multiple articles regarding this preheat issue.
cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:50 PM   #5

My Yanmar doesn't have a pre-heat option. My old 1981 Volkswagon Rabbit Diesel did. Sometimes you had to go through two pre-heat cycles on mornings when it was below 10 degrees.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote