Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Projects and Customisations
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #1
Commander

Default Trying to locate door latch

Good day Maxum owner family ... having a tough time finding a 'door latch'.

I've tried searching on West Marine, Overton's, and Great Lake Skipper - no joy.

For reference ... #4100SCA. I've removed the sundeck ice maker, and am replacing it with a storage locker (pictures when I'm all done) - but need a latch for it. There is a smaller storage locker below the one I'm building with a latch I'd like to match.

PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:47 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

I bought one of these recently to replace the latch on the cabinet door on the small cabinet under the cockpit sink where the battery switches are. OEM one had plastic guts like yours and disintegrated, so I replaced it with stainless. It's called a slam latch. Pretty sure I got this one at Boat Outfitters ...

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/stell...18=29&215=1394

Old 10-29-2021, 09:59 PM   #3
Commander

I've got some nice stainless steal replacement latches on order.

Today I tried to 'take out' one of the soon to be 'old' latches, and am completely dumbfounded. There were two 'set screws' that I figured prevented the 'back' from turning ... so I figured I'd remove them and try rotating the 'back' while holding the front. No joy there, but hey, it's a 22 year old OEM latch, so maybe it's just sealant/sun dried locked in, or I'm just an unqualified mechanic.

Tried YouTube, no joy on removal or installation of the type I have (A Swedish company called Steller).

If anyone has a good link to a install/removal vid or can 'type' me through it, it would be greatly appreciated. Some pic of the damage I've done so far to the latch.

Old 10-29-2021, 10:36 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

It should just push through from the back to the front after you get the set screws out. Might be crusted in, or maybe someone bedded it in with sealant or adhesive?
Old 10-30-2021, 04:12 AM   #5
Commander

Default Thanks, I agree with you ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004_3300_SCR View Post
It should just push through from the back to the front after you get the set screws out. Might be crusted in, or maybe someone bedded it in with sealant or adhesive?
That's what I was guessing too ... heck, they've been in there for over 22 years. I'll get a block of wood and a wooden mallet and give it a whack or two and see what happens.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:44 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

Did you get this out? I'm thinking grab the latch body with channel locks and twist to see if it breaks loose with reasonable force. I know my for latch like that sitting in starboard the body twisted around as soon as I loosened the set screws. I'd be worried about breaking the door with a mallet!
Old 11-06-2021, 03:17 PM   #7
Commander

Default Opps, late reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004_3300_SCR View Post
Did you get this out? I'm thinking grab the latch body with channel locks and twist to see if it breaks loose with reasonable force. I know my for latch like that sitting in starboard the body twisted around as soon as I loosened the set screws. I'd be worried about breaking the door with a mallet!
Sorry for the late reply ... just got back from Key West (still 'drying' out). Yes, it came out. Scary, minds thinking alike. I did a grab and jiggle with a channel lock and then gave it a good swift whack with the palm of my hand and it came out. New one fit right in. Another project nearing completion.