Old 11-28-2022, 01:46 PM   #1
Lyn
Ensign

Post Replacing Throttle Controls - Maxum 3000scr

Hi to all Members. This is my first post as a new Maxum boat owner. My husband and I purchased a 1997 Maxum 3000scr which is currently moored at Torrevieja Spain. We love the boat but it needs a little work to bring it back to its former glory. My project but my husbands’ money hopefully!

The main problem I have at the moment is the old twin throttle control unit (Pictures attached - No makers mark on cover) with integrated trim switches on the port handle are old and worn and need changing for a new one. I do not want to compromise on this. My questions are:-

I believe I have 2 choices when it comes to replacement models. The 2 are:-

(A) Quicksilver 88688A23 Console Mount Remote Control dual engine with trim
(B) Mercury-Mercruiser 8M0075246 Console Mount Remote Control Gen 11 for which I will need additional wiring harnesses etc

Our boat is moored in Spain and I am not going to have access to it until end of January so I can’t visit the boat to help answer my own questions. What I am not sure about is:-

With the newer 8M0075246 control unit will I have enough space for it to fit in.

Will the hole need to be bigger and importantly a different shape.

Does this unit give better control and feel than the Quicksilver model? If not should I stick to trying to replace like for like which I assume is the Quicksilver 88688A23

Have I got my 2 choices above right and do I have any other options.

In the United States you have so much better access to info on Maxum boats and indeed Mercruiser parts than we do in the UK. Trust me on this. It is a nightmare trying to find info on this subject especially diagrams with dimensions.

If any of you can help this 66 year old female non-engineer with sound advice. You will be put on the top of my Christmas card list!
Attached Thumbnails
throttle control.jpg   IMG-20221116-WA0000.jpg  

Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:47 PM   #2
Admiral

Lyn, welcome aboard.

The boat most likely has the Quicksilver 3000 dual control. Either of the two you selected should work however there are aftermarket options as well from Teleflex, Seastar Solutions, ... The main thing is to match the footprint to make sure you don't get into any mounting issues as you pointed out. You should be able to get this detail from who plan to purchase from. You can also contact Mercruiser/Quicksilver as they have very good help lines. Additionally, the cable ends it accepts otherwise you may need to replace all 4 cables.

Good to hear you not calling your husbands money yours

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 05:08 PM   #3
Lyn
Ensign

Thank you for your helpful reply. Not sure what you mean by replacing all 4 cables. Do you mean the throttle cables? I understand that the newer unit the 8M0075246 requires Gen 11 cables and additionally 2 wiring harnesses to route the 2 fine trim buttons on the body of the controller to the stern-drive pumps. I also might have to buy connectors to go from 4 pin to 3 pin or the other way round. (I cant remember precisely) As both these units are not easily available in the UK from stock it seems an impossible task to get the sizing detail from any stockist. Do you have an email address for the US Mercury/quicksilver help desk? I forgot to say that my stern-drives are Alpha 11 in case it helps.

As regards my husbands money, I have tried to call it mine but he can be quite stubborn. I will continue to work on him. Early days. We have only been together 25 years!

Thanks for your help once again.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:51 PM   #4
Admiral

Being that you have twins there are 2 throttle cables and 2 shift cables. For Gen 2 (II) and Alpha 2 (II) Mercruiser uses II and nor 11 just for reference. Here is the link to Mercruiser help. Regarding the wire harness you may need them but will most likely need to splice the other end at the trim pumps to use the old connections as they are different than the new pumps.

PS: I am cheering for your husband
I was married 30 years and never took kindly to my ex calling it all hers especially during the divorce.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/contact/

Mike
Old 11-29-2022, 02:32 PM   #5
Lyn
Ensign

Hi Mike

I was being a bit thick when it came to the cabling. Yes I get it now. I have received an email from one of the UK stockists giving me some interesting advice, an extract of which is:-

"with the Gen II controls one feature I personally do not like about them is that there is no positive detent for neutral. Particularly on a twin engine boat, when docking you want to be able to feel when the controls are in neutral and not have to take your eyes away from other boats or the dock"

If this is correct it is a big drawback for more novice boaters like me. So coupled with the problem of being a different shape etc I might well stick with the like for like option of Quicksilver 88688A23. I wonder what the benefits are of 08M0075246 unit other than it looks sleek and up-to-date! He has kindly sent me the templates/schematics for both.

As regards my husband Andy, no cheering allowed! If the need ever rose I am the one who would probably give it all away - even my share - Lets hope I never have to prove it!
Old 11-29-2022, 09:03 PM   #6
Admiral

Hi Lyn,

Not sure I agree with the response you received. I feel that is a low probability in overshooting neutral. As with anything practice helps but I never found this to be an issue.

I hope you and Andy see another 25 years of marital bliss!

Mike
Old 11-30-2022, 08:44 AM   #7
Lyn
Ensign

Thanks Mike.

I am going to do some more research and I will report back next week with my findings. I don't need to buy the unit until early Jan as I won't be going over to Spain until the end of Jan. Unless the newer Gen 11 throttle gives me something more than the other one I will probably go down the easiest install route i.e. "like for like" because if we hit any complications Andy will say "There was nothing wrong with the old one. We should have left it alone 😠😠".

As regards 25 years more - Crikey I expect I will have worn out my 2nd walking frame by then, so I will definitely be looking for a change - a newer model - to keep me feeling young - but it will be a much younger version. "A Toy Boy" At that point my resolve re Andy's money will probably be tested as to attract one I will need to be wealthy! 🤣🤣🤣

Back next week to update all on my further research
Old 11-30-2022, 12:10 PM   #8
Admiral

"A Toy Boy", guess I'm out of that race being 62.

Mike
Old 11-30-2022, 12:15 PM   #9
Lyn
Ensign

I am afraid so ����
Old 11-30-2022, 12:19 PM   #10
Lyn
Ensign

Doesn't look like the emojis are working on my post. Sorry. Should show laughter!
Old 01-19-2023, 04:43 PM   #11
Lt. JG

Good Morning;
We swapped out the controls on our SCR3000 we run 4.3 Alpha Gen 2, you likely will not need additional wiring if you buy the outboard Version of the Mercruiser binnacle... our's wired up easily... additionally the whole matched up perfectly... The only thing we did wrong was not replacing all the cables... two shift, two throttle and two lower unit cables... we had a heck of a time adjusting because that lower cable was worn and stretched so the shifter with new cables didnt line up properly... spend the extra time and money to do it at the same time. Good luck
Stilley902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:40 AM   #12
Lyn
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilley902 View Post
Good Morning;
We swapped out the controls on our SCR3000 we run 4.3 Alpha Gen 2, you likely will not need additional wiring if you buy the outboard Version of the Mercruiser binnacle... our's wired up easily... additionally the whole matched up perfectly... The only thing we did wrong was not replacing all the cables... two shift, two throttle and two lower unit cables... we had a heck of a time adjusting because that lower cable was worn and stretched so the shifter with new cables didnt line up properly... spend the extra time and money to do it at the same time. Good luck
Thank you Stilley902. I chickened out in the end and I have bought a new like for like replacement mercury/Quicksilver 88688A23 . It is not yet installed. I had intended to change the shift and throttle cables but I did not know about the 2 lower cables which I am guessing means that I need to have the boat lifted out of the water to change these two lower ones. Is this correct. The boat is not due to be lifted for a few months so either I change the throttle control and 4 of the cables now and leave the 2 lower cables to be changed in 2 months time or I delay everything until boat is lifted which is quite depressing because I wanted to get the new control installed now. Any thoughts from you Stilley902 or anyone else much appreciated. Remember boat is in Spain and we are in the UK visiting it every 8 weeks or so.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:08 AM   #13
Lt. Commander

Hello Lyn. I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't install the shifter and 4 upper cables. Everything can be fine tuned at the motors after you change the lowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sph801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:26 AM   #14
Lyn
Ensign

Thank you. That is a relief. I bought the new controller as a birthday present for my husband. He has no idea so I was looking forward to it being fitted when we are over at the boat next week. Now I can still get it done even though it wont be absolutely perfect. At least this present is an upgrade on a previous birthday present when I bought him a toilet for a boat we owned at that time.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:23 AM   #15
Lt. Commander

Lol! Better than a toilet. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sph801 is offline   Reply With Quote