Old 03-25-2022, 08:06 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Question Removing galley cabinets

I have a 2001 3300 SCR, this off season, we wanted to make sure that the thru hulls and drainage hoses are in good shape, or need to be replaced.

A couple of them run behind the galley cabinetry. The boat yard is suggesting removing the cabinets to be able to get a look at the hoses. I am a bit skeptical.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is there an easy way to remove the cabinets (it does not sound like an easy job)?

In advance, thanks for any and all suggestions!

warbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 04:11 PM   #2
Ensign

I did it in a friends FourWinns and it was a hell of a job, something you do over the winter. Also a great time to upgrade the carpet and or material on the wall to a newer/more modern look.

Unless you know they are leaking I'd wait till next fall and do it then.

Rockrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:44 PM   #3

I replaced the cleats and discharge hoses on my 2800. I would locate the cleats and hoses first.

The yard will want to charge you the most labor intensive method, because that will also be the easiest in the long run. They bill for the hours to remove the 'furniture' then they can EASILY replace everything. Then charge for hours putting it back. Leaving is it difficult and time consuming. Removing it is easy and time consuming. They want the easy and time consuming option.

Port midship cleat was in the galley cabinets. All I had to do was feel around until I found the nuts under the carpeting. Cut a U shaped flap in the carpet and was able to access the underside of the cleat without removing cabinets.

I'd remove drawers and the fridge to see how well you can get back into the lower bases to access discharge hoses. In the head, I had to remove the medicine cabinet to locate the Stbd side midship cleat.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discharge hoses, galley, thru hull