Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Projects and Customisations
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-08-2024, 02:48 AM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default DIY How to build a outboard standwith a 275lbs rating

I struggled to find a decent tutorial online for an outboard stand that fit my engine. In an effort tp help others out, I am creating my own tutorial so perhaps you can easily create one of your own. This all costed me about 100 dollars at Home, but I got a new sturdy stand out of it. This is how I built mine. You can put your own twist on it to adjust to your own needs if necessary.
Happy building!!!

Materials:
Six 2x6x8's
6 casters with around 100lbs rating each
(2 swivel with brakes to attach at one end, 2 swivel without brakes to attach in the middle, 2 non swiveling to attach at the other end?
a box of no less than 60 2.5 inch deck screws
24 1.5 inch screws for the casters
1 decent sized L bracket to lock the steering arm in place
directly behind one of the 30 inch end pieces to create a 12x30 inch platform for your gas can and battery
1. Cut 2 60 inch pieces. These will be your 2 length pieces for the base
2. Cut 5 30 inch pieces. Use 2 of these for your width pieces for the base. Screw all pieces together. If wanted, add another 30 inch piece
3. Flip upside down and attach the 6 casters with the 1.5 inch screws.
4. Cut 2 33inch pieces to create the arms.
5. Attach 2 30 inch pieces to the top of both arms. This will be where you mount the outboard.
6. Cut 2 21 inch pieces and attach them to the front of the 33 inch arm pieces under the 2 30 inch cross pieces. You will now have 4x6 arm atached to a 12x30 mounting plate.
7. Attach arms at 90 degree angle to the base, touching the rear end of the 12x30 base platform.
8. You should have enough wood left over to cut 4 30-48 inch pieces. Make them all the same length and as long as they all can equally possibly be. Screw 2 togther to create 2 4x6 pieces.
9. Saw 45 degree angles into the 4 ends and make sure all pieces are the same length. These are your support braces. Attach them to upper arms and to the base.
10. Mount your motor carefully as centered as posible.
11. attach the L bracket to the end of the steering arm. ( you may need to drill into one of the holes to make it slightly larger to fit the threads through.
for your holes
12. Position the motor as straight as possible, position steering arm to either end of the mounting plate until the bracket touches the plate. Screw in place.
13. Drill your mounting holes into the mounting plate using the mounting brackets on the motor as a template Use the bolts and washers from the boat to mount the motor to the stand

You're done! Easy peasy!
I hope this helps someone!
Attached Thumbnails
View 1.jpg   View 2 with view of steering arm lock bracket.jpg   View 3.jpg  

Triple J Graffis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 04:28 AM   #2
Lt. JG

I use a regular old automotive engine stand. i boly a block of wood to the motor mout and slip the motor on to that, works wonderfull. ill try post pics

Fkn.MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:59 PM   #3

Now get 4 locking caster wheels from harbor freight, HD or Lowes.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 07:20 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkn.MAXUM View Post
I use a regular old automotive engine stand. i boly a block of wood to the motor mout and slip the motor on to that, works wonderfull. ill try post pics
I had that, but I did not trust it to not dance around, so I built this one.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:22 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Now get 4 locking caster wheels from harbor freight, HD or Lowes.
I have 6 on there already