Old 03-28-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
Admiral

Thumbs up Range report-caution..gun thread

well....today after making a stop to the boat to have a laptop with mercruiser software on it..my mechanic told me both engines are good to go...which was good since I had a scare a couple weekends ago...

anyway...after the boat I ran up to a range a couple towns north of us who is supposed to let me shoot big guage pistol .....they wouldn't let me shoot my sks74..but the Thompson .308 encore was definitely doable...

so...I set up a target....ran it all the way down the lane...and pulled my encore out...pulled the ammo out...remember this thing has a 15" barrel and now a new sight on it.....it also is a bear to hold steady standing up....it was a standup lane so..I couldn't use the bypods.....
with that said......I grabbed a round and put it in the barrel....closed the breach......took aim with the new red dot scope....squeeeeezed the trigger and

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!........

ALL I SAW WAS FLASH AND HEARD THE ROAR OF THE ANGEL OF DEATH EMITT FROM THE BARREL!!!.....this thing kicked like my arm was trying to catch a full kick from a horse!!!........both guys in the lane next too me leaned over and said...more like screamed...WTF was that????..what are you shooting???..is that thing even legal to own!!!!
last time I shot one was 15 yrs ago....evidently I forgot what a beast this thing is too shoot!!!............
I fired about 10 rnds and was done.....I need to sight the scope in better but I'm sorta scared to try shooting in unless I can laydown and put a tank on the barrel to hold it down!!!!....

anyway....it was fun...but shooting that cannon by hand holding isn't the way to shoot it.....next time I'll use a bench or laydown on the ground to shoot it....it'll take about 2 days to get my butt to unclenched!!!...

anyway..thought you'd get a kick out of my adventure....

next weekend ..I'm praying the weather gods will smile on us and we can now get out on the boat....everything is now ready and I'm anxious to get out on the water...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:39 AM   #2
Lt. JG

Wow! When are you going bear hunting. It looks like quite a cannon. Are you going to use it for anything other that target shooting? I've gone the other way. As a kid, I always wanted to be a cowboy and now that I have grown up and they let me use real guns I am still strapping em on. I went to a Western 3 gun match this past weekend and put 100 rounds through my rifle and pistols plus 30 through my 12 gauge. I didn't win but I'm working my way up the ladder.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:51 AM   #3
Commander

Nice looking Encore
I would think the bi-pod attached to the barrel would affect accuracy..
oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:38 AM   #4
Admiral

Tex...about 15 yrs ago a buddy of mine had something like a dozen of em....I remember how much fun they were murdering targets on the woods...he had .308....223....30cal...you name it...I just don't remember them having THAT big of a kick.....would love to see your six shooters!!..haha..

Oldno7 ...I can't answer the accuracy yet......at .50 ft...I was hitting the target a little low and to the left...so I think my sites need sighting in yet...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote