Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-05-2010, 12:32 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Topside paint

The trim paint which wraps around the stern of my 2001 2300SR ( bowrider) is some kind of tan/ grey/ taupe paint marked off by white tape. after 9 years the tape is showing up against the hull and is chipped and scratcheds and generally looks pretty tacky with the trim paint showing up from underneath.

I've been told that this was a standard way that Maxums had their trim painted so my questions are....Was the tan/ grey the original color or is this a faded verson of some other color. The striping lower on the hull is sillver and gold and does anyone have suggestions or experience with removing the tape and repainting or replacing the tape?

This is really the only unattractive part of a boat that our surveyer said "Could be mistaken for new" and I'm planning to do something - repaint? re tape? while she's hauled for the winter.

John G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #2

Is the paint the problem or the striping? The striping can be easily replaced. You can probably get (order) replacement rolls from a local Bayliner/Searay dealer. As for the paint, the best thing to do would be to try and use some wax or restorer to bring it back. 3M makes a great line of products. Since we can't see how oxidized the paint is, I'd probably go from a product with a lighter cutting compund to one with a heavier if you don't like the results.

3M Clean and Wax has a mild cutting agent and is an all in one product that only needs a single application.

3M Marine Color/Gloss Restorer is a light version of a rubbing compund. It is slightly more aggressive than the Clean and Wax. This is a 2 part process, similar to using rubbing compund. Once this step is completed, you'll need to apply some 3M Marine Liquid Wax. This is for heavier oxidation and faded color.

3M Marine Rubbing Compound is much more aggressive and for heavy/chalky oxidation. This also requires you follow-up with a coat of 3M Marine Liquid Wax.

I would try a little bit of clean and wax in a smal area first to see if that does the job. If not, go up one to color/gloss restorer. You're going to need ALOT of buffing heads and clean rags and swap them out frequently. Once the buffing head (used with a orbital buffer) gets clogged, it makes the job 10 times more difficult. Same with the rag you remove with. Once either start skipping and becoming very difficult, it's time to swap.

I usually go through 10 or so buffer heads and 20-30 rags to do the entire boat (28 ft.).
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote