Old 05-20-2019, 06:00 AM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Ladder replacement

Hey everybody, been doing a ton of work to the boat and thought I would share my favourite upgrade so far, after much searching I gave up on trying to fix my busted 2 step boarding ladder, the slide mount broke and found the bottom of the lake at the end of last season so, I bought a simple 4 step top of platform mount ladder. I then managed to get the ladder cover off without breaking it and cleaned everything up and installed the new ladder and I have a stainless steel piano hinge for the original cover to allow to flip the new ladder out and then close the lid to provide the cleanest look with functionality that I could get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000, 2100SR 5.7 Alpha 1 Gen 2
Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #2
Ensign

So this is awesome and I was just wondering the process/parts you used? I'm in the same boat (pun intended) where I don't have a ladder and have been scouring high and low to find a replacement but it seems that it is just easier to do something like this. I appreciate any help on this as I am fairly new to ownership and want to make sure it comes out clean. Thanks!

RedLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Ya I’m really happy with how it all turned out. The cover plate was held down with 4 screws coming up from the bottom and sealant, I was able to pry the cover off very carefully without damaging the actual boat by using a hack saw blade to cut the sealant and screws between the mating surface......very time consuming. I coiluld not reach the screws underside without tearing 1/2 the boat apart.

Once off I sanded the remaining sealant and drilled out the remaining screw pieces and filled the holes with sealant.

I bought a standard 4 step over the platform ladder and lined up and drilled the 4 holes in the mounting location. Then built a reinforcement plate out of marine plywood with holes in it sandwiched between the underside of the platform and 2 strips of aluminum for strength. Then using all stainless bolts, fender washers, and stover nuts. Clamped it all together with sealant to keep the water away. You need extra hands and lots of patience to get it all together due to the poor access but all in all not a huge job.

After, which is not in the pictures, I cleaned up the original cover and used 2 stainless hinges and screws to secure the cover. Now you flip the cover open and flip the ladder in the lake then you can close the cover to give you the full swim platform again.

Hope this is clear enough...I will attempt to jamb my phone into the engine bay behind the trim pump to get some pictures of the underside this weekend so you can see how I did the support for the underside. It was definitely over engineered but I never want to do it again so....

Old 08-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks for all the info on this. I assume to get access to underside where the ladder attaches is in the engine bay? I didnt see any other access points other than that area but wow is that a reach/cramped. I still have the old ladder sliders on my boat and I'm assuming their is some type of nut on the underside/inside that holds it down.

I appreciate any more insight on this as I'm fairly new to boating and don't want to do something that leaves a hole or damages anything.
RedLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

There were nuts you bet, I took a slightly different approach and broke the plastics sliders apart with a special breaking tool (a hammer and a screwdriver [emoji23]) and then cut the bolts and retrieved the bottom half out of the bulge after.

You are correct that the only access is from the engine bay behind the trim pump. It is not a nice fit but building the clamp down using a piece of flat aluminum and gluing washers and nuts to it then leaving it to set overnight you can just reach and it holds together while you get the bolts started from the top side (2 man job, skinny guy inside the boat) then a long handled ratchet and socket (I used my torque wrench as it had a long handle) you tighten it all down one at a time.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:18 PM   #6
Ensign

Nice. I have same issue with my Maxum 2300 SC. Ladder in the bottom of the lake. Have hatch off and not able to find the original replacement ladder, which would be a pocket slide mount, 4 step. I would think that the hatch would hit the grab bar once the hinge is in place not leaving enough clearance to fold the ladder into place?
chorstman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorstman View Post
Nice. I have same issue with my Maxum 2300 SC. Ladder in the bottom of the lake. Have hatch off and not able to find the original replacement ladder, which would be a pocket slide mount, 4 step. I would think that the hatch would hit the grab bar once the hinge is in place not leaving enough clearance to fold the ladder into place?

Actually the hatch will fit right back on, I will post a picture later today, I still have to actually mount it as I am installing hinges to make it an actual hatch so you just open it and toss the ladder out and then close it so you have the whole swim platform all the time.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:45 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Question Ladder Replacement

Overboard -
I own a 1992 Maxum 1800SR that has a pull out ladder on the lower side of the swim deck / transom extension. I like what you have done on your boat but looks like my only option is to mount on top of the swim platform. Definitely need more than just two steps like the original one. Any suggestions? Thanks!
deanries (Go Big or Go Home)
deanries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanries View Post
Overboard -
I own a 1992 Maxum 1800SR that has a pull out ladder on the lower side of the swim deck / transom extension. I like what you have done on your boat but looks like my only option is to mount on top of the swim platform. Definitely need more than just two steps like the original one. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Windline makes a variety of replacement options.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:59 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Thumbs up Ladder Replacement

Shrew - Great, I will check out what Windline has to offer and make some modifications during the off-season. Thanks for the direction!
deanries(Go Big or Go Home)
Old 01-27-2021, 04:13 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Smile Ladder Replacement

All -
Found a replacement on boatid.com/windline that should be what I wanted. Will take a little modification to install but that can be accomplished. Another off-season project to complete. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2021, 07:10 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

Question Ladder Install

All -
Received the replacement boarding ladder, a Windline SM-3X telescoping unit yesterday. It does not come with any installation hardware (ie. attach bolts, bushing(s), washers, etc.). Does anyone know where to obtain this hardware that will match this unit. Calls for 1/4" stainless steel bolts need to be used for installation. They should also be flush mount into the bushing/washers that mate the attach holes in the unit. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 03-20-2021, 04:30 AM   #13
Ensign

Hi Overboard,
Great job im in same situation, no ladder. I have 2001 SC which I BELIEVE IS 3 STEP Ladder. I would prefer 4 step if possible. Couple questions My pocket opening is approx 13 inches wide is this similar to what you had. In addition wish you would post pic with cover open to see how you hinged it. Thanks
jackrabbit1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:32 PM   #14
Lt. Commander

Smile Ladder Replacement on a 1992 1800SR

All - After some DIY thought I engaged on this project hoping for a great outcome. After purchasing the Windline SM- 3X replacement ladder I determined that I could fit that ladder in the well where the original ladder was. After removing the old ladder I started modification work to accept the new ladder. After considerable hand machining / trimming I have accomplished that task. Photos have been taken and will post after available on my PC. Working now in locating & drilling the four new holes plus will use 3 out of 5 of the existing ones. Waiting for the carbide drills from McMaster-Carr to do that task. More news in the near future.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:22 PM   #15
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit1330 View Post
Hi Overboard,
Great job im in same situation, no ladder. I have 2001 SC which I BELIEVE IS 3 STEP Ladder. I would prefer 4 step if possible. Couple questions My pocket opening is approx 13 inches wide is this similar to what you had. In addition wish you would post pic with cover open to see how you hinged it. Thanks

Hey Jackrabbit,

I have not actually hinged the cover as it needed some fibreglass work as the wood on the edges was rotting a bit. I have it done now (over a year later) and will be mounting it once I de-winterize and pull all the covers off. All I am going to do is recess two 4 bolt short piano hinges into the fibreglass to get them to flush mount on the top side. Lots of labour to get it looking right but it should work well.

I have to apologize as I have not been very good at staying on top of the discussions on here, so again, sorry guys.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:31 PM   #16
Lt. Commander

Thumbs up Ladder Replacement on a 1992 1800SR

All - Just to let you know I will make a new post in the Forum under tab of Projects & Customizations. Too much going on in this post but similar. Thanks!
Old 12-15-2021, 01:57 PM   #17
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboard View Post
Hey Jackrabbit,

I have not actually hinged the cover as it needed some fibreglass work as the wood on the edges was rotting a bit. I have it done now (over a year later) and will be mounting it once I de-winterize and pull all the covers off. All I am going to do is recess two 4 bolt short piano hinges into the fibreglass to get them to flush mount on the top side. Lots of labour to get it looking right but it should work well.

I have to apologize as I have not been very good at staying on top of the discussions on here, so again, sorry guys.

Hi, I am in a similar situation on how to attach the cover. Any photos of this project? Thanks in advance.
Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:04 PM   #18
Ensign

Default Boat Ladder- 2300

We have a 2300 Maxum and also lost our ladder at the dock. We ended up hiring a man with scuba gear to retrieve it in about 30' water. Success! It's back on and we've attached some roping to it just so in case it comes off the track again (total design flaw), then at least it won't be lost. It's not perfect but it works for this 21 year old boat (I had searched high and low for a replacement and was not finding anywhere!)
love2boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 03:22 PM   #19
Ensign

Default Need ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboard View Post
Hey everybody, been doing a ton of work to the boat and thought I would share my favourite upgrade so far, after much searching I gave up on trying to fix my busted 2 step boarding ladder, the slide mount broke and found the bottom of the lake at the end of last season so, I bought a simple 4 step top of platform mount ladder. I then managed to get the ladder cover off without breaking it and cleaned everything up and installed the new ladder and I have a stainless steel piano hinge for the original cover to allow to flip the new ladder out and then close the lid to provide the cleanest look with functionality that I could get.

for ladder

Melton507 is offline   Reply With Quote