Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-17-2023, 08:16 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 4100 SCA Aft Cabin

Does anyone know what brand of marine drives were put on the Cummins 6BTA in 1998. I thought I had "Twin Disc" brand but what is on my boat does not align with what I'm seeing in the manual. It's a simple thing but the oil drain plug is not where the drawing in the manual indicates where it should be. And regardless, I'll be damned if I can find a drain for the units I have.

DennisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 01:17 PM   #2

I believe you're referring to the gearset, also referred too as a transmission. If it's not Twin Disk, it will be ZF Hurth. The latter being extremely common.

It should have the model on the side of the gearset.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 09:35 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks shrew. So I have confirmed I have the ZF Hurth transmission. As I search for more information about this transmission, I first can't confirm the model/size trans I have. Although I don't really need to know that, I would like to see a drawing that will show me the location of some kind of drain plug. Lack of finding one, I'm left to conclude the ATF has to be drawn out through the dip stick hole. Also, where is the the oil filter? I guess I really do need to know the size so I can look for the right manual that I so badly need.
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 01:29 PM   #4

The oil filter is really a screen. You're going to need to know the model and specs. Some take transmission fluid. My ZF takes 30 weight heavy duty diesel oil.
Old 04-27-2023, 03:39 PM   #5
Ensign

Mine definitely has ATF in it. Lacking any other info, like something from the manufacturer, and the fact my transmissions have showed no signs of problems, I' staying with that. I have a filter out and am now trying to source replacements. To your previous comment, I agree there must be identifying marking on the outside if it relating to a model number, but I just haven't found it yet. The drama continues.
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 01:38 PM   #6

Mine had ATF in it as well. My paperwork listed a completely different model ZF, which had specs for ATF. I was down reaching for a dropped tool and found the plate on the side that of the gearset that had the model and that it took 30 weight HD oil.

I'm no saying change it. I'm just suggesting that you verify.