Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2021, 03:10 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 2001 Westerbeke generator issues

Hi all - I am 80% sure I'll be the owner of a 2001 3300 SCR shortly. I've owned many boats in my life so I have experience, but never owned a cruiser. The seller of this boat says it has a Westerbeke genny that has had issues for years. It "works" or may work right now, but simply has issues. Apparently it's been repaired a few times before and he was told all was well, then it acted up again, and current status is unknown, and it seems they've generally stopped using it. My experience with on-land generators is that they must be used and very carefully maintained, and this one doesn't seem like it's been used much, nor perhaps maintained. I like all my stuff and systems to work as intended.

What am I up against? Since it's already installed, some level of repair or tuning would seem cheapest. I understand outright replacement could cost many thousands of dollars. If that's the case, my offer and the price tag should reflect that.

Thoughts?

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:09 PM   #2
Lt. JG

Westerbeke generators of that vintage are stone simple. 3 cylinder \ two valve \ single barrel carburetor. Get a tuneup kit - plugs \ wires \ cap \ rotor and do that. Often the carb base gaskets fail - there is a base gasket and an adapter plate. Buy both baskets and do them - I chased issues for months due to those gaskets.

Dhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:37 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks for your reply! I am sucking up information as fast as I can. This Westerbeke tag says it's 3.75 KW at 50HZ and 4.5 KW at 60HZmm BTW. Model 3.5BCGTC/4/5BCGTC. Unsure why the tag split like this.

Once I get the genny wrangled, if you don't mind me asking, I have 3 nagging generator questions:

Does a genny charge the batteries when running (like, if you’re anchored for 2 days and making strong use of the genny? So might it effectively act truly like shore power?

Can you, or should you, operate the genny while underway? As in, there’s a 1.5 hour ride home and it’s stinking hot, and your kids want to watch TV downstairs in the AC and microwave some popcorn while you motor home?

Would a typical boat (and genset) be sized to run items in the boat like you could on shore power...like the AC, water heater, microwave, and possibly the range all at once? What I'm really getting at is if somehow too much power is being used, will it trip a panel breaker or will the genny stop?

Thank you!
Old 08-03-2021, 07:47 PM   #4
Lt. JG

The difference in designation of 3.5kw vs 4.5kw is that the engine runs at higher RPM to deliver 60Hz vs 50Hz - 1800RPM vs 1500RPM respectively. So at higher RPM it is developing more power. The 7.2kw unit I have is the same exact engine, but screams along at 3600rpm.
Charging of the batteries happens in one of two ways. Some generators have an alternator so they charge straight away. If your is like mine it does not, so you need to have the battery charger turned on while running the generator (just like at the dock).
I run my generator while underway with no issues. Careful at high speeds as the generator may not pick up water - I have never had this issue but some have. My pick up (3700SCR) is further back than the engine pickups on my boat so no worries.
I have tried to run everything on my boat as a test - two a.c. units, stove top - both burners, fridge, microwave. Only the second burner on the stove kicked the breaker - the generator actually held the load...
Dhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:14 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Thanks for the replies - love this forum!