Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Phone Jacks???

Fellow boaters,

I purchased a 4100 SCA last fall and noticed that there are phone jacks in both staterooms and in the salon. Can someone explain how they work and if I could possible make an intercom system out of them?

As Always - Thanks,
SunChaser

SunChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Lieutenant

I believe they were connected to a external jack near the water and cable hook up. I'm sure you could, it should be just regular telephone wiring.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #3

First off, are you sure they're phone jacks? Telephone uses an RJ-11 connector, while ethernet (Data) uses an rj-45. They look very similar, except an RJ-11 is narrower and uses a max of 2 twisted pair, with one being the 'Tip' and the other being the 'Ring' . (2 wires pairs are typically red(Ring) & green (Tip); black (Tip) & yellow (Ring)). Ethernet uses 4 pairs (blue & blue/white; orange and orange/white; Green & Green/White; Brown & Brown/White).

Whether it is an RJ-11 for Phone, or Rj-45 for Data, there would typically be a means to get the signal from the outside world, onto the internal network (yes a POTS system (Plain Old Telephone System) is a rudimentary network).

There would typically be a either a corresponding jack up in the cockpit or within something that looks like a shorepower connector (until you open it and see Either/AND an rj-11, rj-45 or Coaxial connector for TV, voice, and data respectively. Some marinas will offer phone, data, and tv to connect from the dock to the boat.

Possibly this person had a Sat. Phone setup or a Satellite antennae and ran the signal via Ethernet. If it were me, I'd do the following:

1) Confirm whether it is an RJ-11, or an RJ-45.

2) Start following the wiring. (You might need a "Toner" to do this)

Best of luck.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Shrew,

Thanks for the info. The jack is definitely a regular phone jack or RJ-11. There does not appear to be a jack on the flybridge, but there is a dock hook up by the dock power hook up on the swim platform. Our marina does not have any kind of phone service. But I was hoping to set up an intercom or some type of phone system on board.

Thanks,

SunChaser
Old 05-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Well look at you, Shrew, gettin all telecom on us.

That's actually my world. I considered offering a similar reply/explanation but chose to avoid going geek. You apparently have no such reservations.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #6

LOL, thanks Dan. Ya, I've worn a lot of hats over the years.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

So lets not forget sunchaser's original question.... An intercom.
It would be usable for this, you would need to find the actual devices to plug into the jacks, would also need to find power supply for the devices since it is just wire in the boat, not connected to a telephone system. Not too bad an article here about doing it. (It is easier than it looks, honest.) http://www.epanorama.net/documents/t..._intercom.html But, with wireless the way it is they have mostly taken over the market and prices are pretty low too.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
Lt. JG

VFF,

Thanks for the info. This is very helpful. I really want to have an intercom system, and would really like to take advantage of the existing wire and jacks. I have also thought about putting in a simple wireless doorbell system (completely separate from phones) to alert other areas of the boat that there is a phone call. Sounds hodge podge, but might work.

Thanks again for the info and link,
SunChaser