Old 07-11-2007, 02:07 AM   #11
Commander

Interesting read, but I must say there is a huge difference between "chop" and running up and down 'waves' or more correctly 'swells.

racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

Default Waves on the Potomac

If it gets that bad on the Potomac, its time to have a very close conversation with "Him".

KKKKFL

Franco_2100SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:04 PM   #13
Lt. JG

Default Re: Waves on the Potomac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco_2100SC
If it gets that bad on the Potomac, its time to have a very close conversation with "Him".

KKKKFL
A couple of years ago we were going to cross the Chesapeake to go to Crisfield (in Maryland). However, the water conditions at the mouth of the Potomac were incredible (the river itself was only 2 footers). As a friend described it, "I thought I was in a flushing toilet!". We turned around and put both boats (my 28' and his 32') in at Point Lookout Marina. About 30 minutes later a beautiful 75' motor yacht pulled in on the other side of the pier from us. The Captain asked if we had been out on the bay. We told him our story and he said, " yep, it was too rough out there for me." :shock:
Old 07-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #14
Lieutenant

Been on my friends maxum 2400 last summer, out in the ocean heading to long island from brooklyn in foot or less seas when about an hour into the trip we fell the wind pickup alittle seas are now at 1-2 feet and within 45 min of that we were sitting in 6 foot swells with an ugly chop, the boat handled it fine with the nose down or up, but we sort of had to keep it in between not too high so we dont keep on slapping down and youre not cutting through the waves and not too low cause with the nose burried in those seas your getting washed over badly. We kept it as far down as we could. Sat in that for about an hour and a half till we got to the inlet at our destination. Not a fun and relaxing trip yet it was an experience and half.

Been in 8-10 before on the same boat but only for a few minutes at the rip tides near one of the jetties.

The worst was fishing in cape hatteras north carolina and we got hit with 14 - 15 foot seas. It was on a 52 foot hatteras. I was sleeping when we hit the seas, got woken up mid-air as the boat tipped sideways, took a nice hit on the wall. (Went up to the deck and saw hammerheads swimming all over the place.) That was some retarded seas to be in. After getting the crapped kicked out of us for an hour we all including the captain uanimously decided that we have to get alittle close to shore and settle with getting smacked around in 9 - 10 foot seas for the rest of the day.

MaxumNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote