Old 01-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 2004 2400SE

Greetings Everyone!

I have recently acquired a 2004 2400SE, (5.0, Alpha 1) and while I await the arrival of summer, I am trying to make some judgements on the following issues:

Item 1: Prop selection: The previous owner installed a 14 5/8"X16" 4 blade stainless prop. Although I could not find his comments regarding this prop on the survey, I do recall a phone conversation where the surveyor suggested this might be too much prop for the outdrive.

I have the original prop as a spare, and am considering going back to that out of concern for the above. We are into cruising and comfort, so reasonable "hole shot" performance is acceptable. Any thoughts or experience with this one?

Item 2: Jabsco Head problem. Unit will not draw external water for flushing. When I fill the bowl from the fresh water supply, it pumps out properly. So, do I go for the rebuild kit (Joker valve may be the culprit, I am told), or opt to upgrade to a better pump and be done with it?

Again, your experiences and perspectives are greatly appreciated. Love this site and the great insights provided by more experienced hands!

Best regards to all,
Mike

Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:05 AM   #2
Ensign

Mike,

For item #2, use the rebuild kit. The joker valve has no role with water draw. I go through a rebuild kit once every three years or so. The issue is mostly keeping O rings lubed and in good shape.

You didn't mention any details of what the original prop is so I cannot say on which prop maybe better. I presume the previous owner chose the newer prop for a reason.

Vince
vnar is offline   Reply With Quote