Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
Lt. JG
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Loch Lomond Scotland
Posts: 31
Default TRIM TABS CORRECT USE

Right don't all laugh at once but as this is my first boat i need to ask the question or questions, what is the correct use for trim tabs on my 2700SCR

If i read my owners supplement it would suggest once cruising speed is reached (I assume on the plane) that the trim tabs can be used to level the boat - no mention of using them to get on the plane quicker

If i read Bennetts info online i am to use them to get up onto the plane well quicker i guess

So who is right or are they both right, can i get onto the plane without using them, have not tried yet as i have always used them before opening her up to get onto the plane
__________________

gentlemanglobetrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
Admiral

 
seapuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Everett Wa
Posts: 4,681
Default Re: TRIM TABS CORRECT USE

the easiest thing to do is use them to help get on plane if your having problems...

what I did with my 2700scr....is put drive down....tabs down...hit throttle....bump tabs up once on plane until no tab effect.....then bump drive up till boat free's up....use trim tabs to level off........

or....

get bennett auto trim tabs....if you use them ..they will go down when you hit the throttle...and come back up once the bow comes back down and the boat will level off...


SP :mrgreen:
__________________

__________________
Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
------------------------
SSN683 Association member
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
Lt. JG
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 40
Default Re: TRIM TABS CORRECT USE

I have tried both ways and have found that there is not as much bow rise with the tabs down and the boat comes onto a plane a little sooner. Other than that, both ways work. I tend to leave mine up because that's one less thing I have to mess with. I did find that I could keep the boat on a plane at a lower speed and lower rpms but the difference was only 1 gallon per hour so I don't think it was worth it. In the end, I seldom use the tabs unless I feel a need to balance the boat.
Milledge
__________________
1996 Maxum 2700 SCR
tex'npepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Lt. JG
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Loch Lomond Scotland
Posts: 31
Default Re: TRIM TABS CORRECT USE

Cheers for that Seapuppy
gentlemanglobetrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:10 AM   #5
Ensign
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11
Default Re: TRIM TABS CORRECT USE

I use mine to get up on plane quicker but ease them back up once I get going. Depending on the weight in the rear I might use them to balance out too. I try not to mess with them too much other than that though.
SaltyDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
Lt. JG
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Loch Lomond Scotland
Posts: 31
Default Re: TRIM TABS CORRECT USE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex'npepper
I have tried both ways and have found that there is not as much bow rise with the tabs down and the boat comes onto a plane a little sooner. Other than that, both ways work. I tend to leave mine up because that's one less thing I have to mess with. I did find that I could keep the boat on a plane at a lower speed and lower rpms but the difference was only 1 gallon per hour so I don't think it was worth it. In the end, I seldom use the tabs unless I feel a need to balance the boat.
Milledge
Yes i like the idea of 1 less thing to have to think about but thanks for the reply i need to try now without to see what happens, all trial and error i guess
gentlemanglobetrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
Lt. JG
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Loch Lomond Scotland
Posts: 31
Default Re: TRIM TABS CORRECT USE

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
the easiest thing to do is use them to help get on plane if your having problems...

what I did with my 2700scr....is put drive down....tabs down...hit throttle....bump tabs up once on plane until no tab effect.....then bump drive up till boat free's up....use trim tabs to level off........

or....

get bennett auto trim tabs....if you use them ..they will go down when you hit the throttle...and come back up once the bow comes back down and the boat will level off...


SP :mrgreen:

Could you explain what you mean by no tab effect? So far i have put drive down, tabs down then open throttle to about 4000-4200 where i come up on to the plane, i then back off throttle to about 3500-3800 and trim up drive, but i have not touched the trim tabs, i am know keen to try this and start to bring them up but as there is no gauge to know where they are up/down mid position etc i'm curious as to what happens if i bring them up fully will it drop of plane or is this what you mean by no trim effect?
gentlemanglobetrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
Lt. Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 139
Default Re: TRIM TABS CORRECT USE

There are only two instances which we use our trim tabs, otherwise they stay in the up position by default (bow up, no drag created); 1. if we have four or more adults on our 2400SCR I will start with tabs down to get up on plane, then adjust as necessary, or 2. from the default up position will use left OR right tab to adjust an uneven port/starboard load to get the boat even.
__________________
Prior boat: 1999 Maxum 2400SCR (I loved that boat but the wife made me get bigger). Current: '96 Carver 325 aft cabin.
Tommyfmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
Lt. JG
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 32
Default Re: TRIM TABS CORRECT USE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyfmu
There are only two instances which we use our trim tabs, otherwise they stay in the up position by default (bow up, no drag created); 1. if we have four or more adults on our 2400SCR I will start with tabs down to get up on plane, then adjust as necessary, or 2. from the default up position will use left OR right tab to adjust an uneven port/starboard load to get the boat even.

hi tommy..i just bought a 2400 scr last month and next sunday it would be my first time carrying 6 adults and am a bit concerned as i have never used trim tabs before. How long approx will it take me to be up on a plane with tabs and motor down? currently it takes us approx 5 secs 2 adults however tabs up and drive down. I am just concerned as i would not want to make any unnecessary damage to the engine...thanks...
clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #10
Lt. Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 139
Default Re: TRIM TABS CORRECT USE

Hi Clint, congratulations on your purchase. This is our first season with a Maxum, and blows away our previous Chris Craft for ammenities, performance and with a smaller engine to boot.

One key to get up on plane with 6 adults is to try and not have too many people in the far back of the boat. Their weight combined with the engine could make it impossible to plane off, so if you have two others with you on the drivers bench, two people right behind, and maybe one person on the rear bench, at least until you plane off, your odds are much better of planing off quicker. Also try and stow any gear, especially anything heavy like a full cooler or portable generator, in the cabin (towards the front). Regarding tabs, you could try starting with them down, and after on plane bring them up so your bow isn't riding too low if that's the case. I don't imagine that with 6 adults you'd need to trim your outdrive up at all.
__________________

__________________
Prior boat: 1999 Maxum 2400SCR (I loved that boat but the wife made me get bigger). Current: '96 Carver 325 aft cabin.
Tommyfmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
winter project.... seapuppy Sport Yachts 0 01-11-2010 12:49 AM
Sterreing wheel needed! swirls Maxum Owners General Discussions 0 08-26-2009 02:44 AM
Foam block - loose Argonaut Maxum Maintenance 3 04-14-2009 12:53 PM
stern drive removal dubble dippin Maxum Maintenance 3 04-13-2009 01:52 AM
Plastic Piranha Propellers Gazjen Maxum Owners General Discussions 1 07-13-2008 08:16 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.