Old 07-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Sticky fuel probe.

Greetings all.

I own a -00 2700 SCR that has the 85 gallon PE fuel tank and one challenge I have is with the fuel level sending probe. I thought maybe it had developed deposits on the gloat shaft so i pulled it out today. The float travels nicely when out of the tank, but when I went to put it back in I realized what the problem is. The aft end of the tank has a slight inward bow to it, right where the probe stick down. This causes the float to get stuck when it gets down to the half tank level and I have no further way of reading my tank level. Is this a common problem, and if so, have anyone come up with a solution to this?
The wife, dogs and I are getting ready to spend a week up the San Juan's and it would sure be great to know when I get down to a quarter tank :-)

Thanks all

dragoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
Admiral

haven't heard of any kind of deforemation on a tank...not much you can do about it at this point except replace the tank I think...
give jim at LUSR 425-347-6000 and ask him..
where ya heading out too??...try Blakely island marina for peace and quiet...
roche harbor for lots to do...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:29 AM   #3
Lt. JG

You might consider a fuel flow meter instead. My fuel gage only shows half full but my flow meter tells me how much I have used and when I refill, it is spot on. It's also great to know how much fuel I am burning at any given time.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
Captain

during the last holiday i filled my tank, and took 2 cans with me (a total of 40 liters = 10.57 us gallon) i was running constantly between 1200/1500 rpm. after 8 hours i filled the tank again. i had to walk to a gasstation again to get 20 liters more (5.28 us gallon). so now i know my ship drinks between 7 and 8 liters ( 1.85 and 2.11 gallons) an hour turning 1200/1500 rpm. a tank of 265 liters (70 us gallon) brings me about 33 hours away from home, and i always have an extra of 2 cans with me, so never a problem. i never take gas in at a harbour because that cost 20% more than at the road, so i know the places were the gasstations are near to the water (between 1 and 5 minutes walking) and fill the tanks over there (generally i have to walk 2 times to fill the boat) so on my last holiday i saved about 200 euro (390 us dollars)........so i always check my hour counter, that's the most important for me.

and off course my lovely lady used that money for getting new shoes, clothes.....etc........no seriously we did all kind of other things with that money.......

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed & inge View Post
during the last holiday i filled my tank, and took 2 cans with me (a total of 40 liters = 10.57 us gallon) i was running constantly between 1200/1500 rpm. after 8 hours i filled the tank again. i had to walk to a gasstation again to get 20 liters more (5.28 us gallon). so now i know my ship drinks between 7 and 8 liters ( 1.85 and 2.11 gallons) an hour turning 1200/1500 rpm. a tank of 265 liters (70 us gallon) brings me about 33 hours away from home, and i always have an extra of 2 cans with me, so never a problem. i never take gas in at a harbour because that cost 20% more than at the road, so i know the places were the gasstations are near to the water (between 1 and 5 minutes walking) and fill the tanks over there (generally i have to walk 2 times to fill the boat) so on my last holiday i saved about 200 euro (390 us dollars)........so i always check my hour counter, that's the most important for me.

and off course my lovely lady used that money for getting new shoes, clothes.....etc........no seriously we did all kind of other things with that money.......

greatz, ed

for your information.....

gas price in the netherlands.....the lowest were i live on the road.....1.429 euro a liter ( 1.87 us dollar for 0.264 gallon)

gas price in the netherlands.....on the water at a harbour.................1.739 euro a liter ( 2.27 us dollar for 0.264 gallon)

so be glad to live in the US when we are talking about boats, what the cost and what they use......2400 sc3 now action price 50.000 euro ( 65.365 us dollars) normaly the price was starting with 63.000 euro ( 82.360 us dollars) for the 5.0 ltr alpha 1 version with all the extra's (entertainment centre, upgraded stereo, teak table, camper canvas, 2 captain chairs etc) without a trailer.

as i know in the US the normal price started with 55.000 dollar with some extra's and the trailer if i am right.

but......still the fun rules much more than the financial pain in the pocket....(hahaha)

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Just bend the float arm so that it will miss the tank(put a kink in it or a dog leg), the sender unit/ float should work the same. So long as it floats from top to bottom

TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote