Old 08-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default New with my Maxum 2300 - 1992 and want to empty my Holding tank

Like I said in my title I just got my boat two weeks ago and I want to emptying my holder tank before I use my toilette. It's the first time for me with a toilette inside a boat. All my older boat didn't have any.
So simple question, is there anything I should know before I go to the vacuum system at my Marina to emptying this tank? I'm open to any suggestion and/or commentary ...
Tank you to helping me to learn my new toys and my new life style hihihi And you know what ... I think I'm in love with my boat ... but shhhttt!! don't say anything to my girlfriend hihihi
But hey ... the name of the boat have the name of my girlfrend in it ... hi hi hi!

Erik

Le Miss Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Admiral

Talking

Welcome to the zoo Erik....you should have lots of fun with the new toy....but as a suggestion..when laughin on the web...it's generally spelled "HAHAHA"...not HiHiHi.....just as an FYI...
to help keep odors down...go to your local marine store or walmart.(commonly called wally world here in the lower part of N.A.) and get some stuff from the RV section called "odorloss"....good stuff and really helps to keep the smells down....
if you have a and type pump assembly...get a tub of teflon grease and take it apart...(using rubber gloves of course)..smother the insides with this teflon grease..makes pumping so much easier ..do this maybe twice a season..
to pump out...make sure the switch at the head is turned to sea....then open the cap...insert the nozzle and give it a little twist towards the threads..like your trying to screw it into the boat...then start the pumping...keeping pressure on the nozzle so it doesn't break the seal....once that is done ...shut the valve off at the nozzle and then pour about 5-10 gals of fresh water into the santank.....then pump out again....do this about 3 times to get as much gunk and waste out......once your done..close the tank up...and your done.....

hope this helps..

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
Captain

SP is right,

but another tip..........dont let your girlfrend sit on the toilet when you connect the hose from the vacuum machine on the boat..........hahahaha......stupid tip i know sorry......

have fun with you new baby....

greatz from the netherlands, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
but as a suggestion..when laughin on the web...it's generally spelled "HAHAHA"...not HiHiHi.....just as an FYI...

SP
I work for a global company (25 thousand employees) and a majority of interoffice communication is through IM. It takes a while to get used to seeing 'Okie' instead of OK, and other non-standards like HIHI or HEHE for HAHA. Sure to use it sounds like a school girl giggling (to us), but then again, we're the only country in the world to reject the metric system. LOL
BTW- SP, I always leave my head set to Dry Flush just because that is the 'Home Position' when we're done with it. I also lock the handle on mine, (I know that not all models have this feature). I'm not very good at RTFM sometimes, why leave it set to the wet flush setting when pumping out?

Bonjour Erik, Bienvenue au Maxum Owners Club.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Admiral

Hey Shrew....
I work for an international company myself....we have everything from australian to zimbabway...russians are the hardest to talk too..something to do with the thinking or something....haha..
anyway it's been a few yrs since we had a pumping type of head..so..your probably right..put the switch to the dry side so you don't suck in seawater....sorry..
my bad!!..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 08-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Thank you guys for all tips ... I appreciate ... and hihi mean haha or LOL for me ... This is funny ...
But that bring me another question ...
I slept on the boat last night and that was something that bug me all night ... a PUMP ... there's a pump right beside the holing tank (I have a back accest behind the washroom) that always start every 10 min approx. ... so what is that pump that always start and why? Is there anything wrong somewhere?
So again I want to thank you all for your warm welcome ...
Merci beaucoup pour votre acceuil!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

That really sounds like your fresh water pump. If it keeps cycling it's either losing pressure or you have a slow water leak in the bathroom or kitchen. The only pumps you should hear will be bilge and water pumps. The water pump can be quite loud and you should be able to shut it off at night.

Also since were giving you such a hard time.........let your girlfriend call it a "toilette" the captian of the ship calls it a "head."

Carry on
tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Ok thanks for a new word for me ... the head!! and in french how we called that?
All this language are new for me especialy in english ...
OK so how can I do some test with the pressure, is anything I can do to repair that? I'm good with my hands and if I can do it myself it will be better money wise

And because you are all so good with answer I realise something else yesterday night, The water that coming from my hot water tank smell realy bad ... is anything I can do for that too ... It smells like bad acid or vinegar in the water ...

Again and again ... this is all new for me and I appreciate your answer ...
Thanks guys!
Old 08-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
Captain

could be that when you leave the water system on you loose pressure on the water system, then the pump starts saying 'brom brom' to get the pressure up again...so when you dont need water put the system off, or try to find the very little leak (believe me you won't find it, at least i did'nt) check al the connections, and eventually screw them very tight (but not to...)

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
Admiral

also the ktichen is called the galley!!...the place you sleep is called a berth...not a bed...the bed in general is a bunk.....
as stated it's probably the fresh water pump cycling....it's normal but most of us just turn it off at nite...

secondly....the easiest way to ride water smells is to take about a cup or so of a half filled water tank...pour either white vinegar or use some of those water purification tabs and let them sit in the tank for about 24 hrs...then drain it thru the hot water system and the cold water system....fill and drain a few times after that and it should get rid of the smells...

hope this helps...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 08-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
Lt. JG

Ok so I just learning right now that
the Galley = Kitchen
Sleep place = Berth
Head = Toilette
Cool I learn ... I learn
Thank you ... It start to come in my head ... and I'm open for any new word ... I'm curious to know ... there's probably some french word for all of these navy word ... hmmmm ... need to check that on the net ...
Old 08-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #12
Admiral

Dude...
I'm italian...i don't know any french except french fries....and maybe escargo....that's when you want the car to go right??

glad I can help....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 08-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

On the hot water tank you basically need to make one of two decisions. If your going to use it and use it often then follow sea puppy and clean her up really good. If your not going to use it (with my inland lake I have shower houses) then I just disconnect mine and do without the bad egg smell.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #14
Lt. Commander

And now that we know that your French Canadian we will go easy on you. Stick with it hopefully we can help. Whatever you do don't surrender.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #15
Lt. Commander

I've used Seapuppy's method with purification tablets and it works well. Do not use bleach like some of our friends did. Six tank exchanges later the smell still knocked your socks off!

Don't let SP give you too hard a time - My Dad was a Navy man, I've been doing this for years, and I'm still learning new terms. Yesterday's was "Abaft the beam" as in "behind a perpendicular line extending out from the middle of the boat". Why I learned this is fodder for a whole other thread.

In any case, welcome to the board. There's a number of helpful folks around here.

Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #16
Admiral

ouch...that hurt

"SURRENDER THE BOOTY"

sp
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 08-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #17
Lt. JG

PPffahahaha, Here comes the french pirate hahahaha!!!

You guys are so funny ... and helpfull thanks again ... s p e a k s l o www t h a's go ing t o h e l p me ... hahaha I'm better to read than to write...