Old 06-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #11
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascavone View Post
with the motor off, put the boat in gear. then reach down in the water and try to spin your prob.

if you can turn it both directions, then your engine coupler is slipping.

start with that.
do i have to be in the water or can i just do this on the trailer?

cashone05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #12
Commander

You can do that on the trailer
If you can't spin it, that does not mean you don't have a spun hub as it could take a lot of torque to spin it. If you can then it is shot.
If you can't, go with the marking of it. Mark the outside of prop and the hub so the marks line up. Next time you are out in the water let her rip and then after a bit raise the outdrive and have a peek to see if your marks still line up.

Generally a spun hub will only spin under high load. So if you take off easy, it will not slip. Once you start to get on it a bit, that is when they normally slip and the RPM will shoot up quickly with hardly any gain in speed.

mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascavone View Post
with the motor off, put the boat in gear. then reach down in the water and try to spin your prob.

if you can turn it both directions, then your engine coupler is slipping.

start with that.
Ok if i do this on the trailer with it in gear it will obviously spin one way. Should it spin at all the other way? I can get it to but its not easy at all.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
Commander

Did you notice if the whole hub is spinning too? You should be able to watch the hub nut to see if it spins along with the prop. If it is then the hub is not slipping. If the nut stays where it is while the prop is turning, the hub is slipping.

Basically there is a splined hub that is encased in rubber that is pressed into the prop. Sometimes they fail and the splined area and rubber spin inside the actual prop.
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
Captain

you can't spin a 5.0 engine over in gear, so the next step is to stick your head behind the engine with a flashlight, and look for aluminum or rubber shaving down the back for your engine.

this is your engine coupler, an aluminum spline pressed into a rubber donut to reduce vibrations. its bolted to the flywheel.

sounds like its slipping, and is shot.

the engine will need to be pulled out to change it.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
Lt. JG

no the hub was not slipping it was turning the out drive. So if it is the engine coupler is this something common that goes bad? There is not an hour meter on the boat but due to its age and condition i would have a hard time believing there is very many hours on it.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I would be looking at the prop first. While couplers can and do fail it is far more common for a prop hub to fail.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #18
Lt. JG

i agree that the hub would go before the coupler but when i put it in gear and turn it the opposite direction the shaft is turning too not just the prop so wouldn't this have to be the coupler?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #19
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I think you need to describe the exact procedures, each step in order, you're using to do your tests.

Something isn't making sense....

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #20
Lt. JG

I am not positive that its not the hub yet as i have not had it to the lake to check yet. However i did pull the prop off, it had grease on it for lubrication and on the back it does not appear as if it has spun at all. That doesn't mean thats not the case it just doesn't look like it. As for the coupler, i put the boat in forward and turn the prop in reverse. I can barely move it and just a little at a time but it does move. I also was able to do this on two other boats i have access to and both of them have a 5.7 litre. If it was the coupler, when i try to turn it in reverse and it does move that little bit it is turning the fly wheel so doesnt that mean im slightly turning the whole engine over? I jnow thats the case with a car engine i just dont know if this coupler changes that on a boat. Dan, what test are you refering to? I would gladly explain exactly what im doing.