Old 09-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Considering a Maxum 2700

Hi

I've owned several boats including a Four Winns 248 and a 288 that I sold 2 years ago due to life.

My wife and I loved the express cruiser and we have three small kids, we're toying with the idea of getting a Maxum 2700. There are several on the market. I'd appreciate any advise on the following:

1. How are the 7.4L engines? They reliable and powerful enough for the boat?
2. Any glaring problems with the 2000 models that I should be mindful of?
3. I like those with an arch, but transport and storage is so much simpler without one. My 288 had an arch, looked nice, but required a lot of “headroom” for storage.
4. I was hoping to find something newer than 2003 that has been well cared for. I notice on photos that the 2000 models have a white/beige interior, subsequent models have laminated wood. Are the other non-cosmetic differences that I should be aware of between 2000 and later models?
5. I’m concerned about buying a boat built in 2000, but I’ve seen new boats that have been neglected and old boats that are well cared for. I prefer the latter. is there anything on the older models that could be potential deal breakers.
6. How do Maxum boast compare to Four Winns, Chaparral & Regal?

Thank you in advance.

CGC

CaptainCGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
Admiral

The SE series is real nice. 7.4L is a beast of an engine and will do fine on a boat that size.

I agree an older well maintained boat is better than a newer boat that has been neglected.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:33 PM   #3
Ensign

Appreciate the input, what is the difference between the SE and SCR models?

That 7.4L seem like a monster engine.

I really like the 9.5 beam.
CaptainCGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

I own a 1994 2700 SCR w/ 7.4L 454 & BravoII drive. My wife and I love this boat, it has plenty of room for guests and tons of storage spaces for all your lake life stuff.

I believe the difference between SE and SCR is the SE is more sport cruiser (no arch) possibly even an open bow style boat.

The 7.4l is very powerful and will keep you near a fuel pump of hammer the throttle all day. ours cruises at 20 knots very comfortably and we like just slow cruising at 1100 rpms to (8knots). We pull a 3 person tube with no problem and the boat will do about 35knot at WOT, depending on # of passengers.
I like the older style with arch (aft facing), but I would take a newer one if given
MoonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:19 PM   #5
Lt. JG

I have a 2005 2700se with the 350 mag and it does quite well so I can imaging the 7.4L would kick some ass. Would be good for those days when you have 8 people aboard.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
legend02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:50 AM   #6
Admiral

I prefer the layout and performance of the SE... Nice boat Legand. I have the same model with the 6.2L and it runs out just fine. Better economy as well.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote