Old 08-03-2017, 09:48 PM   #11
Lieutenant

Did you have to adjust the sizing for age shrinkage? I've been thinking about doing this too.

ertyqway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #12
Lt. JG

Isinglass Clear Vinyl Replacement
Materials and Tools:
• Clear Vinyl (don’t cut it too close)
• HH-66 Vinyl Cement
• Small amount of mineral spirits
• Sharp Scissors
• Utility Knife
• Spline Roller Tool (highly recommended)
• Carpet Seam Roller (highly recommended)
• Sheet or clean drop cloth and large working surface
• Drill with a 3/16th or so drill bit
• Vice Grips or Channel Locks
• Leather Punch (makes holes for snaps or you can use a knife)
• Snap Tool/Pliers
• Snap sets
Process:
1. Use the Vice Grips to hold the snap head of any snaps that go through your existing clear vinyl, then use the drill to drill-out the inside of the snap so you can remove them.
2. Clean the inside of the existing clear vinyl since this is what you will attach to and you don’t want to scratch your new vinyl
3. Lay out the isinglass piece with the interior side up. Roll out the clear vinyl (I left the separation paper between the old and new to make it easier to move the new vinyl into place) and do a rough cut. I left 1-2” of excess on all sides to allow for stretching during installation. You will trim this off later. You do not want to cut an exact fit at this stage!
4. Position the new vinyl and remove the separation paper. Smooth out the new vinyl into its final position.
5. Start with the longest edge and begin to put a thin layer of vinyl cement on the old vinyl edge working about 8” at a time. Pausing to let the cement dry a little before pressing the new vinyl. Use the spline roller for tight seam areas and go over all seams with the smooth carpet seam roller.
6. Be patient and sparing with the cement! It is strong stuff and will chemically react with the vinyl, so you do not want to have excess squeeze into your viewing area. Mineral spirits can be used sparingly for clean-up.
7. Work the largest end next and in the same fashion. When the two sides are complete, re-smooth the new vinyl before going to the other end. Do the “top” edge last.
8. Lay the completed panel aside in a flat area so you can work on the next panel.
9. When all panels are completed, return to the first panel and trim off the excess new vinyl. This will also allow you to see if some edges were missed or need cement touch-up. Next, you need to find an air pocket between the new and old vinyl, preferably in a corner. You may need to twist the panel or flip it in order to find or make one. You need just enough to carefully insert your utility or X-acto knife so you can get about an inch of cut. Once you have that, the scissors are the best tool to trim out the old vinyl. They are least likely to accidentally cut your new vinyl in the trimming process. If necessary, use the utility or X-acto knife for detailed trimming.
10. Use a fabric punch to put holes through the new vinyl in preparation for compressing your new snaps back into place with the snap tool. Optional: For some of the snap surfaces, you may want to add weather stripping to help reduce any water leaks you may have had before. I used weather stripping from Lowes and have had great results as long as I did not rely on the adhesive backing and ran these where snaps would hold them into place.
11. I have found that the cement is generally ready to go at this point. I put my panels on my boat the same day and they were rained on in 24 hours. I did notice that during this time it was 90+ degrees for a while, so there was some cement that got on sections due to the heat since the cement had not fully cured. If this happens, mineral spirits used sparingly worked great to get this goo off. You should not have this problem if the pieces are allowed to cure, especially in more reasonable temperatures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0804171631a.jpg (99.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png CarpetSeamRoller.PNG (85.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png SplineRollingTool.PNG (26.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png LeatherPunch.PNG (125.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png SnapPliers.PNG (82.7 KB, 3 views)

Old 08-04-2017, 10:11 PM   #13
Lt. JG

Default Close-ups

Here are some close-ups of the cemented edges. Note that some tight areas like the front zipper panels required that I take out one of the two stitch hems to provide enough contact area under the zipper with the old vinyl. This is one reason I am considering strengthening the edges with a hem (over the winter). The edges and seams have held up fine and without issue for two months, extreme heat (almost 100 degrees for two plus weeks), several weekend trips, and rain/hail storms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0804171629.jpg (164.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 0804171621.jpg (206.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 0804171620b.jpg (171.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 0804171620a.jpg (226.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #14
Lt. JG

Default Close-ups and Weather Stripping

These show where I added weather stripping to improve water protection for the cockpit. This also shows an enhancement I made by wrapping the new vinyl to create an external channel that has significantly reduced water intrusion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0804171619.jpg (163.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 0804171620.jpg (148.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 0709171417a.jpg (97.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-05-2017, 11:25 AM   #15
Lt. JG

To ertyqway: Unfortunately, if the panels have shrunk over time, then this vinyl replacement is not likely to fix or help much. My isinglass is the original (20 years old now) and had some shrinkage. I have adjusted the bimini supports and I replaced 4 of the set screws with thumb screws so that I can adjust these supports when the panels are in place or not so the bimini doesn't flap in the breeze. Since you need to take the snaps off in the process of replacing the vinyl, it did give me the opportunity to reposition a few snaps to fix some of the issues. Here are the thumb screws I used.
Attached Images
File Type: png ThumbScrews.PNG (37.5 KB, 6 views)