Old 03-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Shifter issue-1999 2100 SC

Just bought my second boat. 1999 2100 SC. Shifter will go into both forward and reverse when in neutral, but will only go into forward gear part of the time and I cannot get it to go into reverse at all (well, once).

In my research, it's the typical possibilities. Shift cable adjustment, bad shift cable or the entire shift control has failed.

Based on that limited info, any ideas on what I am probably looking at?

lifespan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:18 AM   #2
Admiral

Is the out drive an Alpha? It sounds like the drive may not have been installed properly, the shifter should be in forward when installing the drive.

Otherwise disconnect the lower shift cable and try shifting it by pushing and pulling the cables core wire. If this works it's an adjustment issue

Old 03-03-2015, 02:55 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks for that info and tip. Once out dips raining here, I'll get on that. It would be nice if it just end up being an adjustment issue. I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:56 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Once it stops... Auto correct
Old 03-03-2015, 03:39 AM   #5
Admiral

Rain must be nice to be above freezing, we keep getting ice storms here lately.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:45 AM   #6
Lt. JG

I guess I should be grateful for that. We do also need the rain here in southern utah. Some weird weather back east.

By the way, it is an alpha one. Like I said earlier, the helm control/shifter just won't even budge to go into reverse. Like its locked in. Initially I thought there was a trick to it. It's not that of course.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespan View Post
I guess I should be grateful for that. We do also need the rain here in southern utah. Some weird weather back east.

By the way, it is an alpha one. Like I said earlier, the helm control/shifter just won't even budge to go into reverse. Like its locked in. Initially I thought there was a trick to it. It's not that of course.
From my experience that really sounds like the drive was installed with the shifter in neutral instead of forward or the lower unit was removed to replace the impeller but again it was installed when in neutral instead of forward. The latter is plausible, been there done that.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:03 PM   #8
Lt. JG

So, I don't have a history on the boat to say that the impeller was replaced, but do know as you say, that it needs to be in forward or drive position when pulling lower unit. I am planning on replacing the impeller myself now in case it has not been done for a while. Given my stated issues with engaging the helm control into a forward position (shift cable issue), is there another way to put it into drive when completed the new impeller install and reattaching the lower unit?
Old 03-03-2015, 05:44 PM   #9
Admiral

What I would do is disconnect the lower shift cable from the shift bracket on the engine. Then pull the core wire out and try rotating the propeller both directions it should only turn freely one direction, then push the core wire all the way in and now the propeller should only turn the other direction. If this works then the outdrive is assembled correctly.

If not verify the shift level on the forward mid section of the drive is engaged properly with the mating level on the transom assembly.

If both of these check out OK them I would suspect the lower unit was not installed correctly.

Remove the lower unit and change the impeller. Drain lube first.

Now to install the lower unit place the shifter in forward. Now place lower unit in forward (shift lever facing forward), grab prop shaft and apply slight counter clockwise pressure to hold it in gear. Install lower while maintaining pressure until mated. Don't forget to replace o-ring that seals upper/lower lube passage on outer wall. Verify it now shifts in all positions and refill with lube.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #10
Lt. JG

I appreciate the insights Mike. It is starting to make a lot of sense and also makes me think that this may not be as costly time and money wise.