Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
Was this found out before or after the drive was installed and the boat was splashed?

Dan
Mounted the drive, then drained the drive lube. Then flushed more drive lube in through the lube level monitor screw, then finally filled the drive with oil. thought about it for a while, then decided to remove it and return it. I did not put the drive on muffs or run the engine for fear of the risk of not being able to return it. I was tempted to tear it down to inspect it, however I was afraid that might also risk my warranty. The launch has been delayed as a result. They agreed to take the drive back this morning. I suspect he drained the other one and realized I was telling the truth. Then again, what motivation would I have to return a drive if it were in pristine condition?
__________________

__________________
Leave me alone, it's Boating Season!!!
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
Admiral

 
ss3964spd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fairfax Va
Posts: 1,512
Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Default

I was just curious how far along with the install you got before making the water discovery. So you found the water the first time you drained the drive lube?

Definitely a mood kill. What's your next step - locating another drive?

Dan
__________________

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,558
Default

Yep, returning this drive and locating another. I'm taking a slightly different direction. I'm skipping used, remanned, etc. I'm going straight to new with warranty at this point.

looking at standard BIII, BIII Seacore, BIII X, BIII Secore X. so far the best pricing I've found is:

Standard BIII: $5195.00
BIII Seacore: $6145.00
BIII X: $6499.00
BIII X Seacore: $7295.00

I'd prefer a Seacore drive. My mechanic is putting more importance on an X drive. I'm trying to balance deciding quickly so I can get in the water with what is the right long term choice. Along with financial feasibility, of course.
__________________
Leave me alone, it's Boating Season!!!
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #14
Admiral

 
ss3964spd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fairfax Va
Posts: 1,512
Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Default

I don't recall the diff between a standard B3 and a Seacore B3 but I imagine it's corrosion resistance.

Could you go for the B3X and just beef up the MerCathode system?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,558
Default

Seacore is corrosion resistant. The X is just larger, mopre robust gears, shafts and bearings. Yes I could go with a B3X and not get the Seacore. My mechanic is pushing me to do just that. He is saying if you have to choose either a Seacore or an X, then get the X. I'm more concerned about corrosion resistance. He more concerned about the drive being stronger and a reduced chance of blowing up again. I'd like to get another B3XSeacore, but I only budgeted $4K, so this is a bit more than I anticipated. (No I'm not complaining about money, though if anyone doesn't think this is a lot of money.....feel free to donate to the "Shrew's new Drive fund" LOL!!!!).
__________________

__________________
Leave me alone, it's Boating Season!!!
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.