Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 57
Send a message via MSN to Flying_Maxum
Default fish finder mounting

Well I finally bought a fish finder, not a real expensive model, just a basic Hummingbird. I have a couple questions on mounting. First, the instructions say to use a two part epoxy to mount the transducer in the bilge, does anyone have any recommendations on which type is the best? I am sure I need something that wont break down in the presence of water/oil/gas. Second, I dont really want to screw the mounting plate to the dash. I would like to mount it to the windshield support, with the availability of also moving it to the front bow rail if I am sitting up there fishing (trolling motor is next on my list). Any ideas for a mounting bracket?
__________________

__________________
2100 SR2 5.7 - Bat out of hell
Flying_Maxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
Lt. Commander
 
TBarCYa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 119
Send a message via AIM to TBarCYa
Default

For the transducer, I don't have any recommendations but I may be able to help with the display mounting. What I did with my Garmin was to use a rail mount I found at West Marine and make an adapter that goes between the rail mount and the display bracket. There are pictures at http://www.tombarcia.net/lottie-da/GPSMAP440s.htm
__________________

__________________
-- Tom

2008 Maxum 1800MX - 'Lottie-Da'
http://www.tombarcia.net/lottie-da/index.htm
TBarCYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:03 AM   #3
Admiral

 
seapuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Everett Wa
Posts: 4,681
Default

go to the gallery and look at the instl. I did on the mounting ...I got a ram mount and attached it to my windscreen stanchion...works great and is not drilled into the dash.....as for the epoxy...I had mine installed in the engine bay and it's installed with 5200 silicone sealant...the coffer dam is then filled with either anti freeze or mineral oil....
works great and I can honestly say it helps alot out here in the puget sound....

SP
__________________
Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
------------------------
SSN683 Association member
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 57
Send a message via MSN to Flying_Maxum
Default

Both very nice installs, I am curious about the way you both mounted the transducer. It appears that both of you put it in some sort of round container for lack of better terms. Is there a reason for that? The instructions I have say to epoxy it straight to the inside hull, with no mention of anti-freeze or anything. I understand the need for it to be mounted with no gaps or air trapped between the transducer and the hull, so enlighten me.
__________________
2100 SR2 5.7 - Bat out of hell
Flying_Maxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Lt. Commander
 
TBarCYa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 119
Send a message via AIM to TBarCYa
Default

The main reason I didn't epoxy directly to the hull is that I didn't like the idea of permanently mounting the transducer. Once epoxied, it's very difficult to remove the transducer and my engine bay has very little room to work so I figured it would be best to use a less permanent mount. My transducer is also a transom mount and was not made to be epoxied to the hull so I figured this would be best.

I did change the mount in that I moved it to the port side of the engine bay and it's no longer in silicone. After a couple weeks, the silicone no longer adhered to the hull and the depth finder stopped reading. What I did was epoxy the ring to the hull and use a light oil as a medium for the transducer. This way, I didn't have to worry about there being air bubbles in the epoxy as it cured that would affect the performance of the transducer and if necessary I can remove the transducer.

The new transducer mount is a 4" PVC coupler that is threaded at one end. The unthreaded end got epoxied to the hull and I have a screw-in cap that keeps the oil in place. I have some pics and will try to post them soon.
__________________
-- Tom

2008 Maxum 1800MX - 'Lottie-Da'
http://www.tombarcia.net/lottie-da/index.htm
TBarCYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Norcold DE-0041 refrigerator HavaMax Maxum Owners General Discussions 2 10-15-2009 06:37 PM
Speakers crackling fredhorn Electronics 4 08-03-2009 02:28 AM
Looking for pics on a 91 2300SCR macfranz Maxum Owners General Discussions 1 08-27-2008 03:31 PM
10 commandments for married guys seapuppy The Dock Walk 0 05-15-2008 05:34 PM
Sewage Discharge Maserator marcey13 Electronics 3 02-21-2008 07:11 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.