Old 01-30-2015, 01:29 AM   #11
Lt. Commander

Thanks for all advices. I had to removed my batteries for winter since I can't charge/maintain them at the place where I store the boat. I'm keeping them home and will connect the charger every month or so. In this case I think I will get one deep cycle battery with enough cranking power and see how it will work for me. I can keep the other starting battery for now. Ideally I'll be using only deep cycle battery and will keep starting battery only as a back up in case my deep cycle will be to weak to start the boat.

forbes210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #12
Captain

Not sure if you mentioned the engine but the Volvo does not like to be started on a weak deep cycle. Best to just get in the habit of always using a fresh starting battery to start each time. Thats what I do.

Start using the starting battery and charge BOTH while underway.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:57 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

Phillbo its a merc 5.7. I might do as you advised in case deep cycle will not work well with starter and be using starting battery to start and deep cycle while on anchor etc. I'll have to put switch in BOTH position to charge both batteries and I've read few times that this is not recommended. Not sure if it applies only when starting the boat or in general.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:37 AM   #14
Captain

I don't think it's the starter that is at issue but the ECM.... I've NEVER had my switch on BOTH ...

Again, here is how mine is set up and it works great. I do boat on Lake Powell so a day of cruising can be 4 hours of engine run time easy.

My set up is like this:

Batt 1 - Starting Battery
Batt 2 - Deep Cycle House Battery.

I place my switch on position 1 to start and leave it there while cruising around during the day (both batteries are being charged by the alternator.
I move the switch to position 2 once I am on the hook and let the deep cycle house battery power everything for the night.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:19 AM   #15
Lt. Commander

Phillbo. My charge won't charge both batteries from alternator when in 1 or 2 position. It will only charge both batteries from alternator when in BOTH position. At least thats what my manual says.
Battery switch.jpg