Old 03-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Intermittent Shore Power to Boat Issue

First time post for me so hopefully someone is able to help me solve this issue.

I own a 2005 2500 SE and last fall prior to pulling the boat out for the winter, I was experiencing some intermittent shore power issues. I'll plug in at the dock and at the boat with the AC Main circuit on along with the Battery Charger and Fridge circuits. The AC Main shows 110 volts to the boat.

I'll come back a few days later and I have no shore power to the boat. I've checked the power at the dock outlet when this happens and it has power. I've tried wiggling the power cord at the boat to insure in have a good connection but still no power. I have yet to check the resistance at the cord.

Has anyone else had these types of issues and what did you determine the cause was? I'm assuming it could be one of the following: the power cord is bad or corroded; the boats shore power intlet connection is bad or is corroded; the main circuit breaker is bad; or I have loose wiring from the intlet to the fuse panel.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

So how/when does the power come back on? If you suspect you might have a bad shore power cord, when you get to the boat and find it has no power, you can use a pen type current tester and run it down the outside of the cord, if there is a break in the hot wire of the cord you will lose power at some point along the cord and that is where the break is.... If you have power all the way to the boats shore power connector then you will need to look at the wiring inside the boat. Of you can get to the backside of that connector inside the boat, you can use that same tester to see if the power is transferring through the shore power connector, if so move to the breaker panel.... etc...etc, but this has to be done when the problem is happening.... It sounds to me like you have a connection somewhere that might be heating up. Good luck, hope you find your problem.

0Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:21 AM   #3
Admiral

Off the grid welcome aboard

Have you insect the plug on the cable, these commonly develop poor connections over time that char the plug and can start a fire.

When checking power at the dock have you unplugged the cord from the boat and measure on the end of the cord?

And as asked what does it take to restore the power?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac main, batteries, battery charger, shore power, shore power cord