Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-14-2020, 01:21 AM   #1
Ensign

Question Looking at a 2001 3300 scr and looking for advise and help.

Hello gang,

I am Anthony. I am looking to purchase a 2001 Maxum Scr. She looks nice and well taking care of. Twin 5.7 with Bravo 3s. I love the layout of this boat. I came from back to back Rinkers and love their layout in all their cruisers. The owner believes he is the 3rd owner. No generator :-(. Are there know issues with wet or high moisture issues anywhere? Top deck, stringers, transom, swim platform, around rails, hatches or windshield? There is water in the forward bilge in the aft area, he says from the anchor locker. I would always soak up any water that would be below the the float level to trigger the pump. Maybe an inch total.

It only has 2 batteries and he has had them get run down in the past form both fridges. Have most of you gone to 4 batteries (2 house and 2 engines and sysyem)?

Anything else you can point me to. I plan to get it surveyed but want to look myself at the know issues before forking over the $650. I look forward to becoming a part of the forum. One big reason I love the Rinker is because they have an awesome owners forum that is filled with great information and people. i

Thanks in advance
Anthony

Apriceisrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:05 PM   #2

The things you are concerned about are generic and apply to all boats, not any one specific brand. Maxum's, like most boats are balsa cored, which means that as soon as you drill a hole into the fiberglass skin, it needs to be properly sealed. caulking will fail over time and stress.

I would add a house battery. You can use a portable generator, but if you plan on spending time on anchor or mooring, then an onboard generator would make life significantly easier. I spend a lot of time on anchor. You could always have a generator installed.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:18 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Welcome! I have a 3300 SCR with no generator. As Shrew mentioned above an inboard generator in convenient. Just to present another option, I purchased a Honda 2200 generator and use that to power everything on the boat. You just have to turn off some items to run other items. For example, I shut everything off and turned on the water heater for about 10 minutes to take a hot shower while on a mooring. After the shower I turned it off and turned the battery charger, receptacles, and fridge back on. The Honda sips fuel, is very quiet, less maintenance, and is way less expensive than a built in generator. Whatever works for you though.

I only have 2 batteries. Never had a problem as long as you manage the charging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sph801 is offline   Reply With Quote