Old 07-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Question Hydrofoil Stabilizer

Are Hydrofoil Stabilizers worth using. I don't know anything about them? Any information about them would be helpful!!

bka56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Some say yes, others say no. Rather dependent, I think, on the size of the boat from what I've read. Smaller (lighter) boats react more favorably. I've also read that some question if the amount of force the foils impart to the drive is a bad thing.

From the research I did for mine, I'm pretty certain a boat the size of yours will need trim tabs.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #3
Admiral

I would probably go with bennett trim tabs with yours...the size and weight of your boat would impart a large force on the anti-cavitation plate and in some cases has caused damage to it...trim tabs would be better suited for your size boat..

imho..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Lieutenant

I can only speak from my experience with the Dolfin stabilizer. I have bought boats without them and installed them and it has changed the ride for the better. In my opinion the trim tabs and hydrofoils work a little differently. What I mean is that they will both "trim" the boat to get on plane faster, but the tabs will help in stabilizing the boat's pitch when there is uneven weight in the boat and the hydrofoil will help with roll when going over a wake.
I've noticed a great improvement in my ride while going over a cross wake- one that hits you at an angle. It keeps my boat steadier more vertical with less side roll as it goes up and over.
I had to call Dolfin company to see if anyone has put them on a twin outdrive, and they didn't know but said they don't see why it wouldn't work. So I decided to try it and it worked great. The Dolfins are somewhat flexible so there is less stress on the outdrive. Some don't like the fact that you have to drill holes in the cavitation plate and are worried about the stainless fasteners causing corrosion with the aluminum. To me the holes are a necessary evil but there isn't any corrosion on my boats due to the hydrofoil is sandwiched between the hardware. My boat sits in fresh water with occasional salt water on trips.
Again this is my experience with them and I would recommend the Dolfin brand because of performance and price- around $30
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #5

I've never heard of someone putting them on a boat that large. When you spoke with Dolfin, did they comment on boat size or weight limitations?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:32 AM   #6
Lt. JG

Thanks for the info. I think my best bet for now is to leave it alone untill I learn alot more.
I certanly don't want to risk any damage.
bka56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
Lieutenant

Hi Shrew,
When I spoke to Dolfin, I told them my boat size etc. and they told me that they didn't see why it wouldn't work. I have researched online and there are only a few photos of anyone doing this. I was concerned because of the counter rotating props and if there would be a weird side effect. I have Bravo two's and they are very beefy drives, they can handle any stress. I figured for $60.00 (for both drives) it's worth a shot and they performed better than expected. The nice thing about the Dolfins is that they are smaller than some hydrofoils and they are somewhat flexible. Like I said, I've used them on my other single screw boats in the past and got a better ride. One boat had a Bravo 1 and the other had an OMC drive vintage 1986.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
Admiral

Trying not to dismiss the possibility that a foil could provide meaningful improvements on a larger boat but a quick walk around a marina with boat lifts, or during the off season when boats are pulled and blocked on the hard, will provide empirical evidence that tabs are the way to go.

Boating is an expensive hobby/past time/way of life. If there was a device that was as effective as tabs at a fraction of the cost I have to believe people would be all over it. Yet, during many trips to my marina's storage area this spring to prepare my boat for the season not once did I see any boat, of any size, with a foil on the drive. And I looked at a lot of them - since I was in the process of determining the right size tabs for my boat and wanted to see what size tabs were being used on similar sized boats.

"I don't see why it wouldn't work" wouldn't be good enough for me.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Lieutenant

Just to be clear- tabs are the way to go and a must on most size boats. They are essential on my size boat. Tabs are the first thing you should invest in if you are looking for boat handling improvement. With all this talk on Hydrofoils my assumption is that tabs are already installed. The foil is in addition too.

The hydrofoil for my use serves a different purpose. It stabilizes my ride over wakes (please read earlier thread).

I can only speak from my experience, and I'm glad I took the advice of "I don't see why it wouldn't work". In my research I also found that most boats with twins did not have them however I did find a few. Does that mean that that's the way it should be? One really doesn't know what one is missing till one tries it.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:46 AM   #10
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
Trying not to dismiss the possibility that a foil could provide meaningful improvements on a larger boat but a quick walk around a marina with boat lifts, or during the off season when boats are pulled and blocked on the hard, will provide empirical evidence that tabs are the way to go.

Boating is an expensive hobby/past time/way of life. If there was a device that was as effective as tabs at a fraction of the cost I have to believe people would be all over it. Yet, during many trips to my marina's storage area this spring to prepare my boat for the season not once did I see any boat, of any size, with a foil on the drive. And I looked at a lot of them - since I was in the process of determining the right size tabs for my boat and wanted to see what size tabs were being used on similar sized boats.

"I don't see why it wouldn't work" wouldn't be good enough for me.
So just to keep this debate open, just met a guy on my lake that has the exact sister boat to mine. It's a 2000 3300SCR with dual 454 7.4 liter bravo threes. He just got done putting a hydro on both of his drives (getting the name of them) and says it's been an amazing difference. Cut his rpm's to get on plane by 35%, the cruising rpm's by 35% the only thing he said they didn't do was contribute to top speed. He spent $70 a side and like I said need to get the name but installed himself and believes he will pay for them with one tank of gas.

Also to be clear our boats obviously are equipped with trim tabs, this is an additional thing he did and for $140 I think I'm willing to give it a shot.
tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
Admiral

Go for it!!! Love to learn and buck convention. Especially at someone else's expense.

I'll buy into the reduced planing speed, however I find the claim of a 35% reduction in cruising RPM's dubious. He can't possibly be suggesting that he used to cruise at 30 MPH and 3000 RPM, but now can cruise at 30 MPH at 1950 RPM. Actually, the claim of a 35% reduction in planing RPM's seems a little optimistic.....

Dan
Old 08-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

yeah I think his math is a little off. My boat comes off plane at about 3200 RPM and he was saying he was cruising closer to 2600 which is great but under 20%. For $150 I think it's worth the bite, not to mention (and I'm calling the comapny today) they are advertising their new product that doesn't require hole drilling.
tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #13
Captain

well.....

if somebody is interested..........

cheap price....

http://www.iboats.com/Se-Sport-High-...-view_id.40037

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #14
pgp
Lt. JG

Did you ever try this? I would love to be able to cruise on plane at about 3000 rpm. Current cruise is 3600. I do not care about losing top end speed. I want to increase my fuel range.......

pgp is offline   Reply With Quote