Old 10-07-2009, 02:05 AM   #11
Ensign

Default Re: Chartplotter/GPS/Autorouting

I've got the 400c too. I plotted a course using the Mapsource software on my PC and just uploaded it to the gps. I pick from my list and off I go. I had no idea that it would plot the course for you.

WilsonCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:13 AM   #12
Ensign

Technology Rocks! Glad to see everyone still stays honest with paper though. Nothing wrong with redundancy when you are navigating. Running aground is awful at slow speed, at real speed it is deadly. A bunch of people just died in the Long Island Sound last weekend from running aground. Not funny, and I am willing to bet bad navigation played a part.

captmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCat
I've got the 400c too. I plotted a course using the Mapsource software on my PC and just uploaded it to the gps. I pick from my list and off I go. I had no idea that it would plot the course for you.
The 400C won't plot a course for you. It doesn't have auto routing. I use MapSource also but that my waypoints are 'off' a bit when I transfer them to the unit.
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #14
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer2c
Quote:
The 400C won't plot a course for you. It doesn't have auto routing. I use MapSource also but that my waypoints are 'off' a bit when I transfer them to the unit.
Ahh...well there you go.

Mine is pretty accurate as far as I can tell.

That boating accident was on the south shore of Long Island (The Sound is on the north shore) near Jones Beach. Pretty tragic, this was a veteran boater who had navigated this channel many times. The boat was a 40' Hustler and authorities said that they found the boat 150' from the shore. All 7 passengers were ejected.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nass ... -1.1504022
WilsonCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #15
Commander

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer2c
Quote:
Ahh...well there you go.

Mine is pretty accurate as far as I can tell.

That boating accident was on the south shore of Long Island (The Sound is on the north shore) near Jones Beach. Pretty tragic, this was a veteran boater who had navigated this channel many times. The boat was a 40' Hustler and authorities said that they found the boat 150' from the shore. All 7 passengers were ejected.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nass ... -1.1504022
Tragic story. From my own experience coming in from the Gulf to hit the channel can look very different depending on time of day and especially during twilight. I have been bitten by over confidence a few times and ended up overshooting the channel buoy to find myself at the wrong buoy and channel (there is another channel about 1/2 mile north of ours).

racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote