Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-23-2015, 04:23 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Difficulty with Generator

Hi all, had tne generator on our 99 4600scb mysteriously quit. Power is good at battery and have trickle charger on it. Switch continuity is good at panel, is there another fuse or relay somewhere between panel and genny? Had it running beauty, then it quit after turning off at anchor in harbor. Any suggestions on where to start would be massivley helpful. New boat to me as of last week.

Cheers,

MasVino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:32 AM   #2
Captain

Just discovered a problem with my generator, current theory is pickup in the tank fell off. Generator ran great off a gas can.

Previously I had a problem where the switch on the Gen was in the Off position. As soon as you released the run remote switch it shut down.

Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:44 AM   #3
Ensign

Fuel pick up is good idea. When hit the preheat switch i don't get any response on the gauges. I was thinking electrical, did you experience that as well? Found emergency shut off switch on unit, that looks like it holds. Just thinking i am missing an easy switch or something. ...well hoping anyway
Old 06-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #4

How much fuel in the tank? The generator pickup is much shorter than the engine pickup. This prevents you from running the genny until the tank is empty. it acts like a 'reserve tank' of sorts.

Make sure you are puling from a tank with sufficient fuel in it.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:17 PM   #5
Ensign

Default Generator Problem

This happened to us over and over. Replaced generator with new northern lights. Change fuel filters often.
Keith Brougher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

Here's a daft one! I have the Westerbeke Generator in my 4600, if I have the engine blower on from the upper helm and also switched on at the generator switch panel in the saloon the generator wont run. Why that has anything to do with the running cicuit of the generator I don't know but it does. Sometimes it will start and it just slows down and cuts out.
Moral of the story, don't have both blower switches on!
iantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:02 PM   #7
Ensign

On diagnosis the 20 amp breaker on the generator is not holding when connected to the control panel. Separate that and it holds fine. checked the various control points (starter , preheat solenoid, alternator, oil pressure switch etc) and nothing seems to cure the issue when reconnected to the wiring harness. Thanks for all the ideas, and help, if anyone knows a good westerbeke person in San Diego I am about to throw in the towel.

Tags
generatir 4600scb