Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-28-2017, 09:50 PM   #1
Ensign
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1
Default Canvas

Does anyone have the name of a good, reasonable company I could use to replace the canvas on a 3500 SCR?
__________________

Halestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:43 AM   #2
Admiral
 
biggerseagar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 1,940
Default

Halestorm welcome aboard! As many times as we have seen this question those of us ask ourselves does he want cheap or quality? For my boat I want something that will last , looks nice and fits perfectly. I have always looked for my local canvas maker and to me worth every extra penny that you spend. So that is what I have done. Now if you are going cheap there is Leta's top shop. She has Maxum templates but you have to put on the snaps. It can be hit or miss with the fit and quality, your choice!

Roger
__________________

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:33 PM   #3
Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,695
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Halestorm welcome aboard! As many times as we have seen this question those of us ask ourselves does he want cheap or quality? For my boat I want something that will last , looks nice and fits perfectly. I have always looked for my local canvas maker and to me worth every extra penny that you spend. So that is what I have done. Now if you are going cheap there is Leta's top shop. She has Maxum templates but you have to put on the snaps. It can be hit or miss with the fit and quality, your choice!

Roger
I agree completely. There are no 'off-the-shelf' options. The only option is to have it custom made.

Leta and a few others (I would balk at the use of the word 'cheap') use the Maxum templates to make factory identical canvas and isinglass. The challenge here is you don't know if you have a factory canvas or a custom canvas. For example, I replaced my bimini a few years ago. I doubt mine matches exactly with the factory pattern anymore. Now, If you're replacing the canvas AND the Isinglass together, this is probably not going to be a problem. The problem occurs when you attempt to attach factory isinglass to custom bimini or vice versa.

We have someone on the site dealing with that very problem right now. Canvas typically last about 10 -15 years. If your boat is that age or older and the canvas looks fantastic, it's probably been replaced.

Like Roger, I use a local canvas shop. They come out and take many, many measurements and use a plastic to make a template and mark it with sharpie. Then they go back to the shop and knock the piece out.
__________________
Shhhhhh!!! Please lower your voice, the boat is sleeping.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
Ensign
 
watertime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halestorm View Post
Does anyone have the name of a good, reasonable company I could use to replace the canvas on a 3500 SCR?
I have a hard top on mine. if you have the bimini frame it attaches to it. It is made of lightweight poly-carbonate and anodized aluminum it was comparable to the cost of canvas but it is a permanent top. It is guaranteed for 10 years. You can check them out at hardtotop.com if your interested.
Watertime
watertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
Lt. Commander
 
jimq26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 146
Default

From Shrews post - "We have someone on the site dealing with that very problem right now. Canvas typically last about 10 -15 years. If your boat is that age or older and the canvas looks fantastic, it's probably been replaced".

The canvas and all eisenglas windows are original on my 1990 2755 SCR. My mooring neighbours and boat visitors are amazed that it looks so good and is in such great condition for that age. The secret is to do annual maintenance and proper storage. When I remove the canvas in the fall, I take it home and give it a thorough cleaning with 303 Multipurpose Cleaner. When dry, I then give it an annual treatment of 303 Fabric Guard which totally seals the canvas. The eisenglas is cleaned throughout the season as required with 303 Aerospace Protectant.
I bought the boat from the original owner in 2013, and have spent about $400 on zipper and screen replacement. In that figure is also the cost of having our local canvas shop check and redo any stitching that may have deteriorated over the years. The Sunbrella if properly taken care of will last, it's the UV rays eating the stitching that causes a lot of trouble.
jimq26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #6
Commander
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimq26 View Post
From Shrews post - "We have someone on the site dealing with that very problem right now. Canvas typically last about 10 -15 years. If your boat is that age or older and the canvas looks fantastic, it's probably been replaced".

The canvas and all eisenglas windows are original on my 1990 2755 SCR. My mooring neighbours and boat visitors are amazed that it looks so good and is in such great condition for that age. The secret is to do annual maintenance and proper storage. When I remove the canvas in the fall, I take it home and give it a thorough cleaning with 303 Multipurpose Cleaner. When dry, I then give it an annual treatment of 303 Fabric Guard which totally seals the canvas. The eisenglas is cleaned throughout the season as required with 303 Aerospace Protectant.
I bought the boat from the original owner in 2013, and have spent about $400 on zipper and screen replacement. In that figure is also the cost of having our local canvas shop check and redo any stitching that may have deteriorated over the years. The Sunbrella if properly taken care of will last, it's the UV rays eating the stitching that causes a lot of trouble.


I was told a big issue is that the eisenglass shrinks with time, as well. How are you preventing that shrinking?
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #7
Lt. Commander
 
jimq26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 146
Default

Never heard of that before. That's a new one.
Mine has never shrunk at all.
Maybe because it remains very very flexible and totally clear with no yellowing by using the correct cleaner/polisher. I imagine if it was left to become yellow and brittle that you may encounter some shrinkage, but I really don't know.

Here's a link of interest - Better Views: Clean and Care for Isinglass « www.yachtworld.com www.yachtworld.com
__________________

jimq26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.