Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2022, 10:59 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default 496 MAG Alternative Flame Arrestor?

Does anyone know if there's a aftermarket or alternative version of the flame arrestor for the 496 MAG with a digital shift throttle body? The OEM version is #6 in the link below.

https://www.hardin-marine.com/s-1439...tle-shift.aspx

I've been chasing a squeal at certain RPM coming from the throttle body for a long time and I suspect it's the OEM flame arrestor. I've cleaned it and that didn't seem to help. I don't want to buy a new OEM one as I suspect it'll have the same problem. My engine has the digital shift throttle body, which doesn't have an IAC muffler like the mechanical throttle body does (which I've read is the primary culprit for a squeal sound on 496's with the mechanical throttle body).

K&N makes an aftermarket version that some folks say helps get rid of the squeal, but the one they make appears to only fit the the mechanical throttle body (link below) as the digital version has a vent hose.

https://www.knfilters.com/59-5005-marine-flame-arrestor

If anyone has seen an alternative that fits with a digital shift throttle body, please let me know.

Thanks,
Ken

kt_maxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 03:08 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Looks like that K&N has a nice big rubber bottom, plenty of space to fit a properly sized fitting for the vent hose? Might be worth a try especially considering its sub "boat buck" pricing.

Old 08-27-2022, 03:07 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Thanks for the suggestion - I agree that might be the best solution. It looks like they also have a version that has a vent fitting that's designed for another engine but has the same size opening for the throttle body. I might give that one a try.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 10-24-2022, 02:04 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Just picking up this thread again. Does anyone know what the hose running from the throttle body in the attached link actually does (part #8 in the link)? Is it just venting air/fumes from the throttle body back into the flame arrestor?

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...throttle-shift
Old 10-24-2022, 01:48 PM   #5

Just a guess, but it looks like it bypasses the butterfly valve and supplies a minimum amount of air, more than likely for idling. My guess is it does for air something similar to what a pilot/idle jet does with fuel in a carb.

After all there has to be a balance of air combined with the fuel being injected into the cylinders at idle. With that valve closed completely, you might be starving the engine for air.

My other guess is to break a vacuum on the other side of the butterfly valve.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 01:43 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Thanks very much. My plan to to route the hose to the new K&N flame arrestor that I'm installing in a way that matches the parts diagram and hopefully address the sound issue I've been having with the old arrestor.