Old 10-17-2021, 11:08 PM   #1
Ensign

Default How do I edit or delete a post or thread?

I've seen this question posed by others, and the response was that there is an edit button on the post, but that person couldn't find it, and neither can I! I'm lost! Please advise! I'd hate to think if I have second thoughts about a comment or said something I need to correct I can't do it!

EDITED TO ADD: (LOL!) Yes, there is an edit button on this post, right now, but not on older ones. I am sure that's a setting in the forum software. Can a Mod please fix that so members don't have a strict time limit? There are instances when an edit is really necessary after that time expires!

Maxum1900xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #2
Admiral

From what I have seen the Edit option exists for about 15 minutes after the post then goes away.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:44 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
From what I have seen the Edit option exists for about 15 minutes after the post then goes away.
Yes....that's how it works, but it doesn't have to. There are settings in the Moderator area where that timing can be adjusted or even eliminated.

I'm requesting we be allowed to edit our own posts and threads whenever we need to...I think that's a reasonable request.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:40 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

Quote:
I'm requesting we be allowed to edit our own posts and threads whenever we need to
I disagree entirely ... especially on a site with a high number of dormant accounts. Way too much potential for bad actors. Stretch the time a little, sure. Eliminate entirely? Nah.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:42 AM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004_3300_SCR View Post
I disagree entirely ... especially on a site with a high number of dormant accounts. Way too much potential for bad actors. Stretch the time a little, sure. Eliminate entirely? Nah.
You may have a point there, but how about when a member is making a specific request? I haven't heard from a Mod here asking if there is a particular post I'd like to edit.

As the founder of a large Harley on-line community forum, I can tell you that when a member had a concern, a mod would jump in and address it very quickly, and hopefully, to that member's satisfaction.

When a request couldn't be accommodated, the member's concern was addressed with an explanation as to why the request couldn't happen, or what could be done as a compromise. It was never simply ignored and left up to the members to debate, while they were powerless to effect any change.

Of course, forums like this used to be all over the internet, with a ton of daily traffic, and some of them had hundred if not thousands of posts per day.
Our site had quite a few Mods and a handful of Admin to run it. Nowadays, many of them are just left on "auto-pilot". If this is one of them, ok, I have to accept that. But this is one of the reasons Facebook has assimilated most of the former on-line communities. (Spoken by someone who, as I said, founded a large forum and watched it grow and grow, then, as Facebook evolved, shrink to a fraction of what it once was.)
Old 10-20-2021, 11:18 AM   #6
Admiral

PM shrew your concerns if you want a faster response.

Mike
Old 10-20-2021, 01:59 PM   #7

Everyone needs to take a deep breath.

1) The scope of this post was to ask about the window of time to change a post. I actually think it's closer to 5 minutes than 15. It might be 10 min. However, the question to the post has been answered.

2) The length of time to allow changes to a post is not going to be changed. This forum is owned by Social Knowledge Network who owns dozens of forums for a variety of topics such as Rv's, investing as well as boating. This policy is set at the corporate level across all of the forums.

3) The purpose of the limit on changes is that once people have started to respond and quote, to change a post significantly earlier in the thread will disjoin the entire thread and it's subsequent posts. This renders the entire thread useless. To attempt to do inline clean up of dozens of subsequent posts as a result of a retoractive edit becomes administratively cumbersome. In addition the users who have their posts edited as a result tend to get annoyed that the moderators have gone in an edited their post, which is effectively their voice and their opinion.

4) At no point did anyone reach out to the moderators or site team and specifically ask that a post be modified.

5) Finally......If you look at the site policy, discussing moderation is against this and all other Social Knowledge Network forums policies. You are welcome to ask questions. Feel free to PM a moderator.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:06 PM   #8
Ensign

New member here. How do I make a post?
Mvillalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:19 PM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvillalva View Post
New member here. How do I make a post?
Go into a specific topic such as under general and on the top left will be a button for New Thread.

Mike
Old 05-30-2023, 05:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxum1900xr View Post
I've seen this question posed by others, and the response was that there is an edit button on the post, but that person couldn't find it, and neither can I! I'm lost! Please advise! I'd hate to think if I have second thoughts about a comment or said something I need to correct I can't do it!

EDITED TO ADD: (LOL!) Yes, there is an edit button on this post, right now, but not on older ones. I am sure that's a setting in the forum software. Can a Mod please fix that so members don't have a strict time limit? There are instances when an edit is really necessary after that time expires!
There is a limit to how long after a post that post can be edited. It is enabled and configured at the forum software level. The feature and length of time was decided by the Site Team and apply to all of the forums owned by Social Knowledge.

The purpose is to prevent users from making significant changes to older posts, which then disrupt the flow of the thread. If a person makes a comment, then the next three pages begin discussing that posts content, then that post is removed, the next pages of discussion become disjointed (orphaned) and confusing to follow.

No, the feature will not be disabled, nor will the time be increased.

If you really need something modified, go to that specific post and select the "Report Post" feature. You will be given the opportunity to submit a text write-up of what you're posting and why. A Mod will be happy to assist.

Please don't ask us to JUST add LOL

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote