Old 08-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Your thoughts

Hey, just found this forum and I'm hoping some of you can offer your thoughts and opinions.

We're 1st time boat buyers and we've narrowed down our search to a few boats, one of which is a 2001 Maxum 2900 SCR. It has the 7.4L MPI / Bravo III with 350 hours. I've been to see it twice now and I like it, but I'd like to know if there's anything to look out for with these models.

I'm also looking at a 2000 Bayliner 285 with a 5.7L (carbed) motor / Bravo II with 260 hours. I think I'd like a fuel injected motor though, but the price on this 285 is nice.

Both boats are in great shape but the Maxum is $10k more. Obviously it depends on several unknowns, but overall, would you say the Maxum is worth the additional $10k due to the slightly larger size, the motor and the Bravo III?

Thanks.
John

#95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: Your thoughts

welcome to the zoo....right now is a good time to be a buyer....the deals out there are just amazing....with that said...imho.....the 2900 is a better deal....sorta...although the small block chevie engine is a good match..it will be slightly under powered and I don't think you'd like the lack of horsepower when the boat is loaded...I would have said to jump on the bayliner IF it had the b3 drive on it rather than the b2 drive....
the maxum ..even though has a big block engine...the b3 drive willl get you where you wanna go...that engine is virtually bullet proof and the b3 drive is right next to having twin engines...it can turn the boat on it's axis if you know what your doing....something only done on twins ....
also have the b3 drives inspected for corrosion...if the po didn't keep up with the zincs...repairs will not be cheap....

but..with any used purchase...i'd make sure the boat is surveyed before grabbing the title....get a qualified surveyor and then negotiate any repairs.....you can even offer less right now due to the fact that boats aren't moving well.......

just my two braincells firing off...

SP :hello:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for the feedback.. it does help.
I will definitely have it inspected/surveyed before I purchase. If all goes well, that could happen this week.
8)
#95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

what do you think a fair price on something like this is at the moment?
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote