Old 08-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Send a message via AIM to jblack1036
Default worried about my outdrive

94 2400SCR.......350 alpha I..............I"ve been lurking around here but have never had any reasons to chime in as I am new to haveing my own boat but I have been around them all my life. There's always been great info to share and I absorb what I can but this one has me worried.....

Took the boat out today for some sun and fun. It was great, no problems on the water. She ran like a top. However, when I put her back on the trailer and pulled her out of the water, I have a steady stream of oil coming from the outdrive while it is in the trailor position. If I lower it, it doesn't seem to leak. But when it's up, it leaks pretty bad. I looked at my resivor under the deck where you would put the oil in and see that it is way down below the line.
I've seen a small amount of a leak from the rear while siiting in the yard but it looked to me like it was coming from the struts to raise and lower the unit. It has never been much at all until today. And it seems to be coming from up inside the unit from what I can see and tell.

Does anyone have any ideas or recomendation. Or do I have a costy service ahead of me???

Old 08-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: worried about my outdrive

welcome to the zoo....drives can be costly as hell...it's mainly the labor that makes it cost so much....well..that's what it seems like to me when I break something... ...ok..just kidding......

your not telling me if it's gear lube oil...or the light oil of the trim rams.....so...
if your talking about the rams leaking..then it's not so bad...they have a rebuild kit that repairs the rams and stops the leaks....

if your talking about the gear lube oil system...then depending on where it's leaking from will dictate the cost of the repair....if it's coming out near the prop..then you have a lower output shaft seal that is leaking and it's an easy repair..remove the prop and then pop the seal off and replace it....if it's coming from the upper part of the drive..then your going to have to pull the drive and have it rebuilt ...if it's coming from the reservervoir tube...that's going to have to be replaced........

SP :hello:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks for the reply seapuppy. Well, it's not coming from the lower......It's coming from up inside. There is one small (tube) or cable that the lube oil is streaming down from. Not sure what that tube or cable is. When we pulled it out of the water and it was just sitting there, it left a pretty good little pool. Also, it smell just like gear oil........I think everyone knows that smell and it's dark greenish/blue looking.....
Anyhoot, I'm hoping that it's nothing major and can be easily repaired. Like I said earlier, I originally thought it was the rams but now I believe it's something more.....It's difficult to get up in there and see for sure where it is coming from. But when the drive is all the way down, it stops leaking. And when it's in the tow position, it leaks pretty good for a bit then stops. ........and there is no water in it. Kinda wonder if I have a busted seal or something.
Now the question is if I can handle this on my own?????
Old 08-10-2009, 12:41 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Well, I just got back in from taking a closer look at it. Looks to the line coming from the resivor. I took my long needle nose pliers to see if maybe the line was loose. NOPE, it's not loose. It has a crack in it. When I push up on it, it just comes dripping out but when I let it loose, it stops. That's gonna be a bear to replace that darn hose. Does anyone have any recommendation on how to go about replacing that short little bit of tube.
I'm sure of what it is as I got down under the deck and traced it just to make sure. Can you replace that withour pulling the drive???

Thanks in advance..

Sure was a fun day. I had the lie-o-meter showing 47mph but the garmin was showing 43...When she's trimmed out just right she really goes through the water. In fact, as much playing I was doing with the trim today is why that darn tube sprung a leak..
Jim
Old 08-10-2009, 02:27 AM   #5
Admiral

wow....that's not going to be fun...I think...and I'll have to check to make sure tomorrow to be sure..but I think the whole drive has to come off....those 6 bolts that attaches to the gimble is what you pull...the a1g2 drive is fairly easy to remove and gives you a chance to check the alignment at the same time....

keep us posted to what you find....oh yeah..if it stinks and is green...it's drive oil...don't forget to clamp the line near the reservoir before you pull the drive...also ...drain the drive..makes it lighter to manhandle....

SP irate:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote