Old 02-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default wiring question

We recently purchased a 1998 maxum 2800 scr which is still in storage (Cleveland). anyway I have a few wiring projects coming up and was looking for a little input from the group here. I'm very comfortable with wiring for both 110 and 12v.
here's what I have in mind.

1. replace fish finder with new lowrance combo unit. can I run wires easily in the radar arch for the GPS puck?

2. fridge died and is out of the boat. thinking about putting a reg small 110 fridge in it's place. may have to cut cabinet a bit (cabinet builder by trade so no issues there) . I know it will only work with shore power but curious if anyone else has done this. Guessing there is a plug already there?

3. install small lcd tv. is it tough to run wire to the panel for 110 and possibly add a power inverter for 12v use? odds are it would be under the helm acrossed from the galley.

thanks for any info that may help.
Mark

Baby Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
Admiral

Someone with this model should be able to answer your questions but here is my input. Make sure to use stranded wire for both 110 and 12V runs and not house wire.

1. Should be able to do so. I suspect hardest part is running the antenna cable from bottom of arch to helm as access may be limited. May have access from mid-berth.
2. Old frig was probably dual volt, ran on 110 and 12V so wiring should be there. Issue reg frig draws more current as it has a compressor. Other issue is waste heat from compressor.
3. See opening statement

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
Admiral

Mark.... I have a 3000 which is close just one more engine.

1. Most of these combo units the gps have an internel antenna. I have one, its a garmin 431, works great. Why put up a antenna if you don't have to.

1.5 I also installed another fishfinder.I installed the transducer on the starboard side transom, in between the outdrive and trim tabs. Again works fantastic.

2. The frig..I would go with what is in there. Yes it might cost you little more, but it will be heck of alot easier for the install. You can find the norcolds most anywhere.

3.The Tv. I know most flat screen tv's are 12v then they have alittle box to handle the 110 v . So if you have a 110 plug when at the dock and a 12v plug when on the hook and somewhere inline you wire it in on the inverter.

Have fun whatever you do decide, you do have lots of options.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #4

You should have access panels on the underside of the arch in teh center and at the base on port and Stbd. On my 97 2800, there is only a a chase on the Stdb side. That is where the arch light and anchor light leads run. it drops into a space just above the bulkhead in the mid (aft) cabin. This space also shares the run for electrical from the engine compartment to the helm. Remove the panel above the headboard in the aft cabin and the panels in the arch and you can run whatever you want. You can also remove the lights for access off center.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Blue View Post
2. fridge died and is out of the boat. thinking about putting a reg small 110 fridge in it's place. may have to cut cabinet a bit (cabinet builder by trade so no issues there) . I know it will only work with shore power but curious if anyone else has done this. Guessing there is a plug already there?

3. install small lcd tv. is it tough to run wire to the panel for 110 and possibly add a power inverter for 12v use? odds are it would be under the helm acrossed from the galley.
I wouldn't do this. I would replace it with another dual-voltage marine fridge. Inverters are very expensive in converting DC to AC. This will burn amps on the battery. I would also look at 12v tv's. Both can be used when not on shore power. Both can also be used while on shorepower, provided your battery charger is running.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote