Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-24-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Winterizing 2000 Mercruiser 5.0 carbed model

I did a little research before winterizing my boat and I have managed to find all the drain points on the engine and water jackets.

In a manual I have it says to pull a water line off the power steering cooler. From the photo in the manual I found what they are referring to. Its at the back of the engine and has a line running off each end, and a small line running into the side of it.

My question is, is it necessary to pull this hose loose? And if so, can I just take it loose at the front of the engine? Its very hard to get to and pull the hose at the location in the diagram. I guess I could do it if its absolutely necessary, but I wanted to check in first.

Thank you!

bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:50 PM   #2
Admiral

The small hoses are the power steering fluid lines and the large ones are the cooling water.

Are you only daring the system or do you plan to drain then run antifreeze through the system? If the latter than you should be ok not draining it.

For the engine you should poke each drain hole with a nail or small screw driver as scale collects in these lower locations and can prevent all the water from draining.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:23 AM   #3
Lieutenant

I was planning on just draining it. I guess I will be more persistant and get that hose off.

I did poke a small object in the other drains which resulted in a lot of water coming out.

Thanks for your help again!
Old 10-27-2016, 02:21 AM   #4
Ensign

I just winterized my '89 5.0 LXT last weekend. A first time for me. I found it difficult and awkward to loosen the water hose on the PS cooler. I got the hose clamp off but could not unstick the hose from the cooler. So instead, I loosened and removed the front hose at the engine side. Then ran my shop vac exhaust into the open hose, pushing water out the outdrive water intake. I ran it until the water stopped coming out. Then poured in about 1qt of antifreeze and repeated. Finally filled the hose with another qt of antifreeze. I hope this will be enough.
rxmaxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #5
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmaxum View Post
I just winterized my '89 5.0 LXT last weekend. A first time for me. I found it difficult and awkward to loosen the water hose on the PS cooler. I got the hose clamp off but could not unstick the hose from the cooler. So instead, I loosened and removed the front hose at the engine side. Then ran my shop vac exhaust into the open hose, pushing water out the outdrive water intake. I ran it until the water stopped coming out. Then poured in about 1qt of antifreeze and repeated. Finally filled the hose with another qt of antifreeze. I hope this will be enough.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmaxum View Post
What you did should be ok however I would have used the shop vac to suck the water out and then back filled with antifreeze. The reason I say this is because the way you did it you are pushing water back through the raw water pump in the outdrive which has vanes that seal against the housing which may not allow water to pass. In suction you would draw trapped water out. This will be a small amount of water and the antifreeze will mix with it but loose some strength.

Mike
Old 10-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #7
Admiral

Did you guys change the engine oil and gear lube as well as fog the engine? Also charge up the batteries and disconnect them?

Mike
Old 10-27-2016, 10:20 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
What you did should be ok however I would have used the shop vac to suck the water out and then back filled with antifreeze. The reason I say this is because the way you did it you are pushing water back through the raw water pump in the outdrive which has vanes that seal against the housing which may not allow water to pass. In suction you would draw trapped water out. This will be a small amount of water and the antifreeze will mix with it but loose some strength.
Well, the water only comes out if air can get in to take its place. That means either air goes thru the impeller in the normal direction or water goes out in the reverse direction. In my case, the impeller will be changed for normal maintenance some time this winter.

re: the rest of the process, I left the fuel tank @<1/2 as we will be in there this winter when replacing the floor. I first ran the engine till warm to warm up the oil. Then changed oil and oil filter along with the fuel filter/water separator. I treated the fuel with Stabil and ran for 5 minutes then fogged it. I did all the regular recommended things, drained the block, the manifolds and even tried to drain the risers. They were already drained but I tried anyway just to be sure. I removed the high end of all coolant hoses (except the PS cooler as mentioned) and backfilled with antifreeze. Drained and filled the outdrive gear lube. Still have the battery connected at the moment as I need to raise and lower the outdrive when moving it into the final storage location.
rxmaxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:27 PM   #9
Admiral

Sounds like you have it covered.

Mike