Old 02-03-2022, 07:51 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Windlass wiring 2400SCR

Anyone installed a Lewmar V700 windlass?
I am interested in where you positioned the solenoid/contractor and the ‘trip.’

My 2001 is, fortunately, pre wired for an electric windlass but I am not 100% sure what is intended. There is a break in the 6 gauge red/hot wire about where the starboard access panel (above the rear berth) is which I assume is for the contactor but it could be intended for the breaker/trip. The manual for the windlass says the trip should be as close to the batteries as possible..

Any thoughts/experience appreciated….

Paul T Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:25 PM   #2

Are they referring to it as a "trip" in the instructions? This sounds like a large (50 - 100amp) breaker. The intention of all breakers is to protect the circuit (wires) not the device (though device protection becomes inherent). Therefore, the breaker should be as close to the batteries as possible. This way, if you burn out a circuit, it's only the 12" between the battery and the breaker, and hopefully the breaker trips before the wire fires.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 02:25 PM   #3
Ensign

Hi

Thanks for the reply. It’s a 35A ‘breaker/isolator’ so sounds like your reasoning is sound.
Old 02-18-2022, 03:45 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Hey Paul. I installed this Windless this past summer in my 2001 2400SCR. It is awesome!! I put my breaker in my engine compartment on the wall that the fresh water pump is located. I wasn't lucky enough to have prewired, so had to run everything. I have seen these breakers located near the helm (not on my boat style though) as some like to trip the breaker when it is not in use. I didn't see a need for this, so I installed where I did for exactly Shrew's reasoning (actually I think he gave me the idea). If you have any other questions, let me know. Happy to help!!!

-Dave
viper12161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 04:27 PM   #5
Ensign

That’s very re-assuring. Thanks Dave.

I think I will place my breaker near battery selector in the engine compartment as you say and the ‘contractor’ somewhere easily accessible mid ships. The stock wiring my boat came with has a break in the hot (red) wire about half way along (near the helm) and I’m now convinced that’s what it’s intended for. The switch wires terminate at the same point.

Thanks again.

Paul
Old 02-18-2022, 06:40 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Was on the boat measuring to replace my cabin door, so snapped you a pic of my wiring setup. Though definitely sounds like you have that half way point area for your contactor. But just in case this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Windless pic engine.jpg  
viper12161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:48 PM   #7
Ensign

Yes. Pretty much what I’m thinking.

Looks very tidy. Well done.

Thanks again

Paul