Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 62
Default Windlass again

Can anyone tell me, should I put chain on the anchor from the rope for the windlass. I have the 3000scr and I see so many other boats with chain for the last 6-8 feet before the anchor. Just wondering because it makes sense but not sure my windlass is designed for the chain at the end. Thanks.
__________________

jeffronin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:36 PM   #2
Admiral
 
Phillbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lake Powell
Posts: 1,459
Default

Not sure about the windless but you do need chain.
__________________

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1
Default

my 3300 has about 6ft of chain. just the rope will slip on the windlass when your anchor is not in use.
foogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,232
Default

Your rode should include the anchor then chain then the anchor line. The chain helps prevent the anchor from being pulled out as the boat pitches from waves.
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #5
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 62
Default

Outstanding, thanks guys!!!
jeffronin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
Commander
 
Gugi47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lancaster, PA.
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffronin3 View Post
Can anyone tell me, should I put chain on the anchor from the rope for the windlass. I have the 3000scr and I see so many other boats with chain for the last 6-8 feet before the anchor. Just wondering because it makes sense but not sure my windlass is designed for the chain at the end. Thanks.
Mike's is right. You need 5-6 feet of chain.
__________________
If they respect you, respect them. If they disrespect you, still respect them. Do not allow the action of others to decrease your good manner, because you represent yourself not others.
-2001 Maxum 2100 SR2 Sport -1997 Regal 258 Commodore (Sold)
Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:21 PM   #7
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 62
Default

Yeah the more I read the more I see that!
jeffronin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:37 PM   #8
Commander
 
Gugi47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lancaster, PA.
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffronin3 View Post
Yeah the more I read the more I see that!
Most of the boaters they use the galvanize type chain. I have the S.S. one, never have to worry...

Here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marpac-CH03....c100005.m1851
__________________
If they respect you, respect them. If they disrespect you, still respect them. Do not allow the action of others to decrease your good manner, because you represent yourself not others.
-2001 Maxum 2100 SR2 Sport -1997 Regal 258 Commodore (Sold)
Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:44 PM   #9
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 62
Default

LOL exactly what I ordered!!!
jeffronin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:40 PM   #10
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 8,232
Default

Your windless spec will tell you what size chain and line is required.

Too big or too small will cause issues.
__________________
1997 2400 SCR
5.7 Vortec / Bravo 2
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,926
Default

6-8 feet is not enough. I would recommend a minimum of a boat length of chain. You want the chain to lower the angle of pull on the anchor. 6-8 feet does not effectively achieve that goal.

You should have a means of retaining the anchor in anchor roller. Do not rely on the friction of the clutch on the gypsy. A simple piece of line tied to the cleat and then to the anchor is sufficient. You can get an anchor tensioner if you want the anchor to sit tightly on the roller.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:18 PM   #12
Lt. Commander
 
gmc60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mass
Posts: 230
Default

I have been taught US Coast Guard many years ago the chain should be the length of vessel so it will hook up well and not brake loose in rough water and a 6-1 scope also .
Im on cape cod mass. and it can get pretty rough on the hook never had a prob ?

S/S is not always better it can brake easier because if its tensile strength .
Thant is just my option.
gmc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #13
Commander
 
Gugi47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lancaster, PA.
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc60 View Post
I have been taught US Coast Guard many years ago the chain should be the length of vessel so it will hook up well and not brake loose in rough water and a 6-1 scope also .
Im on cape cod mass. and it can get pretty rough on the hook never had a prob ?

S/S is not always better it can brake easier because if its tensile strength .
Thant is just my option.
Wrong. S.S. may straitch but not brake becouse have last carbon. And that is not my opinion....is the fact.
__________________
If they respect you, respect them. If they disrespect you, still respect them. Do not allow the action of others to decrease your good manner, because you represent yourself not others.
-2001 Maxum 2100 SR2 Sport -1997 Regal 258 Commodore (Sold)
Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #14
Lt. Commander
 
jimq26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 223
Default

gmc60 is correct - galvanized is safer.


Google it for yourself - type "is stainless steel chain stronger than galvanized steel chain" and read the numerous accounts and testing that has gone on.
jimq26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #15
Commander
 
Gugi47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lancaster, PA.
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimq26 View Post
gmc60 is correct - galvanized is safer.


Google it for yourself - type "is stainless steel chain stronger than galvanized steel chain" and read the numerous accounts and testing that has gone on.
https://www.google.com/search?q=is+s...hrome&ie=UTF-8

3/8 Inch BBB Stainless Steel Anchor Chain. Like all our Stainless Steel chain, Anchor Chain will not rust and is stronger than galvanized chain and also has a higher working load than our high test, proof coil chain (S0602) of the same size. BUT this chain here is the strongest of the strong!!! ... 316L Stainless Steel.

http://www.stainlesschain.com/how-to-size-anchor-chain

Boat Length: Boat Weight: Chain Diameter:

20 to 25 feet ----- 2,500 lbs. ----- 3/16-inch
26 to 30 feet ----- 5,000 lbs. ----- 1/4 -inch
31 to 35 feet ----- 10,000 lbs. ----- 5/16-inch
36 to 40 feet ----- 15,000 lbs. ----- 3/8-inch
41 to 45 feet ----- 20,000 lbs. ----- 7/16-inch
46 to 50 feet ----- 30,000 lbs. ----- 1/2-inch
51 to 60 feet ----- 50,000 lbs. ----- 9/16-inch
__________________
If they respect you, respect them. If they disrespect you, still respect them. Do not allow the action of others to decrease your good manner, because you represent yourself not others.
-2001 Maxum 2100 SR2 Sport -1997 Regal 258 Commodore (Sold)
Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:47 PM   #16
rwc
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
6-8 feet is not enough. I would recommend a minimum of a boat length of chain. You want the chain to lower the angle of pull on the anchor. 6-8 feet does not effectively achieve that goal.
Agree it should be one boat length at least of a suitably heavy rode of chain. More is better. Basically, you want enough weight in the chain that the catenary (shape of the curve of the chain) results in the anchor lying flat on the sea bed despite the pull of wind, current, wave surge. 6 to 8 feet may not provide that in a combined sea and you risk pulling the anchor.
rwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:56 PM   #17
Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,926
Default

https://www.practical-sailor.com/blo...r-10080-1.html
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #18
Commander
 
Gugi47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lancaster, PA.
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
We talking of chain here not anchor...but....why the top nuch, expensive boats have S.S. anchors with no exception? If they are not good, how some of you claim it?
I don't care what anybody buy or use.
Buy and use what make you happy.
I buy and use what make me happy. But don't make a case of it. Or a statement if have not novlege....my opinion...This is not for you shrew, I just add it here.
I try to help here, but if you guy don't need my help, let me know and I'm out from here.
Have a nice day.
__________________
If they respect you, respect them. If they disrespect you, still respect them. Do not allow the action of others to decrease your good manner, because you represent yourself not others.
-2001 Maxum 2100 SR2 Sport -1997 Regal 258 Commodore (Sold)
Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:25 PM   #19
rwc
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 94
Default

Stainless steel is a lot prettier than galvanized.

Heavily used workboats use galvanized, fancy boats use SS. I don't think it's related to strength in either case - they use the weight of rode that meets necessary strength requirements - it's a matter of beauty vs. cost.

In brief, you are right. Use what makes you happy, but SS is definitely much more expensive.
rwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:05 PM   #20
Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugi47 View Post
We talking of chain here not anchor...but....why the top nuch, expensive boats have S.S. anchors with no exception? If they are not good, how some of you claim it?
I don't care what anybody buy or use.
Buy and use what make you happy.
I buy and use what make me happy. But don't make a case of it. Or a statement if have not novlege....my opinion...This is not for you shrew, I just add it here.
I try to help here, but if you guy don't need my help, let me know and I'm out from here.
Have a nice day.
Take a deep breath Gugi, nobody is attacking you or your opinion.

If you read the article more closely, it discusses the differences in the behavior or the metals. The fact that they are discussing the anchor vs the chain is somewhat irrelevant.

In fact, the article acknowledges that SS is stronger. What it continues to discuss is how mild steel vs SS corrode. The corrosion weakens the metals, however mild galvanized steel show signs much more easily.
SS is more brittle and won't bend, it breaks. The challenge is that as the SS corrodes, it's breaking strength decreases without the owner being aware since there is no or little change in appearance.
__________________

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.