Old 06-22-2016, 04:32 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Where to find calm seas.

I would like to open this thread with a thank you to the members for being so helpful on previous questions I have had. I have a boating situation that if I dont figure it out. It could jeopardize my future boating with my family. First let me give you some details on my boating past. I am not new to boating.My wife and I have raise my 3 boys going to the lake and skiing for many years. But it has been strictly on ..small fresh water lakes ( not the ocean).The Kids have grown up. So the wife and I have transitioned to the Ocean. I bought a 2001 Maxum 2400 scr. The wife and I love the boat and our excited about the future.But here is where the problem starts. Before I explain it I want to state that I know its not the boat. We have gone out 4 times on the boat. Each time we always check the sea conditions to make sure its calm or as close to calm as possible. This is the problem, we are getting (ROCKED) its so rough the my family the wife, son, and father in law are sea sick every single time. I haven'tj gotten sick. But I do acknowledge the seas are very choppy. My wife has told me that if I dont figure this out she doesnt think she can continue to go out with me. I think I know what the problem is. But I needed to hear from you more experience ocean boaters. When I go out I hug the coast ( southern california). I go out about1/2 to 3/4 of a mile and run up and down the coast. I have noticed that no one else is doing this . We are always by ourselves. We see comparable size boats go out and coming into the marinas from farther out at sea. But no one is running close to the coast like me. Could it be that I need to go out 3 or 4 miles out to find calmer waters. Basicly are the water conditions closer to the coast rougher? I tried to explain it the best way I can. Thanks hope for help.

barovj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
Captain

Well southern California always has surf (makes us on the east coast jealous). It comes from these ocean swells and the west coast's continental shelf is much closer to the shore than over here. So those swells travel with no obstructions until much closer to shore, so they retain all their energy and ride up as it gets shallow.
If any of that makes sense to you, I'm trying to say calmer further out (within reason) and the surf picks up close to shore. How you drive in the waves may also have an affect on your rocking, but try going further out. You'll have less kelp, too...

speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
Admiral

Have you talked with other at the marina about this? Maybe someone can take you out with them so you can get an idea before taking the family.

Also does the family use any type of seasick meds? I have know folks who used to get sick in a heart beat but with meds and time they adjusted to where they no longer require and meds.

Other things are take wave slightly off the bow minimize them from hitting the boat sideways or your boating days are numbered.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
Captain

Seasick bracelets work for my wife. I think it's all in people's heads, but so long as they're not getting sick, that's what matters.
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:05 PM   #5
Captain

Speedsprocket is right!
I have not boated in SoCal but have in S F bay area, and the farther out you go it gets smoother, to a point!
I have been out two miles and been beat to death and on the same day had friends

Don
donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
Ensign

Thanks Don
barovj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #7
Admiral

I use to charter sail boats out of San Diego. We would go off shore far enough to avoid the kelp beds and them run up to Mariners Bay at Mission Beach. It never failed someone would get sea sick. I stopped sailing in So Cal because the swells really can make the trips not enjoyable.

Not much you will be able to do about it except to only go out on dead calm days.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
Lieutenant

We have a 3000scr out of Lake Erie and have had a sail boat on Lake Ontario. My wife is fine on the Great Lakes, even in the bigger stuff. She cannot handle the ocean. From a big cruise ship to a 52' cat we chartered. The ocean is a different animal altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:24 PM   #9
Captain

I agree, on that trip everyone was effected to some extent!
Glad I dont boat there ant more!
But I still miss it at times!
Don
donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #10
Admiral

Have her try Sea Bands. They work for my girl friend.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #11

Barovj, can you describe the sea state at the time? Avg wave height, period (time in seconds between peaks), breaking or rolling? What was your average speed at the time? Direction (Head, Following, Quartering, Beam to)?

Are they complaining because of rolling or the boat banging along?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote