Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-22-2020, 08:32 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default What The Fungus?

I have another thread called 'Major Repairs' under Sport Yachts about all the work that needs to be done to my boat. It started with the starboard inside stringer in the engine compartment (pictured below) being delaminated and turned into it and both port stringers needing to be replaced all the way to the bottom of the stairs. The front and rear bulkheads too.

The stringer was cut out less than 2 weeks ago. Whatever this is has already grown out past the cutout. For orientation, the picture is the forward end of the inside starboard stringer on the side that faces the starboard engine.

The place doing the work said this stuff is in several locations and they have never seen it before. It's giving me the willies.

Have any of you ever seen or heard of this before? Any information you can provide would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
StringerFront2.jpg  

Old 12-23-2020, 12:18 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Hebert View Post
I have another thread called 'Major Repairs' under Sport Yachts about all the work that needs to be done to my boat. It started with the starboard inside stringer in the engine compartment (pictured below) being delaminated and turned into it and both port stringers needing to be replaced all the way to the bottom of the stairs. The front and rear bulkheads too.

The stringer was cut out less than 2 weeks ago. Whatever this is has already grown out past the cutout. For orientation, the picture is the forward end of the inside starboard stringer on the side that faces the starboard engine.

The place doing the work said this stuff is in several locations and they have never seen it before. It's giving me the willies.

Have any of you ever seen or heard of this before? Any information you can provide would be appreciated.
It’s like a deep sea horror movie, sleep with one eye open.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Looks pretty gross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sph801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:32 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Those look like the mushrooms I had growing out of the rotten plywood I replaced on my 1989 Wellcraft Eclipse. Came up right through the carpet.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004_3300_SCR View Post
Those look like the mushrooms I had growing out of the rotten plywood I replaced on my 1989 Wellcraft Eclipse. Came up right through the carpet.
What else did you do besides replacing the wood and how successful were you?
Old 12-23-2020, 08:25 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

I replaced the plywood it was growing out of with marine plywood that I epoxied on both sides with West System. Scrubbed out the carpets and put it all back together. Sold the boat to a friend, mushrooms haven't returned - this was all summer 2019.