Old 10-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
Admiral

Thumbs up What Mods are you planning during winter layup???

ok...winter is rapidly approaching ....and we're all gonna be thinking of what we can do to our boats....so..the question is:

"WHAT MODIFICATIONS ARE YOU PLANNING DURING THE WINTER LAYUP????"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
for me ...I was donated a 9 ft rib dingy that I plan on fixing a leak on and sanding down the seat ..then replacing all the lines ...and finally installing on my swimstep....I got the rib in the garage and just waiting to get my other items at home done before I start heavily on the dink...

I may convert more interior lights to LED as the winter goes on....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
Commander

Even though we don't stop boating in the winter I already started by off season works. A few weekends ago I replaced the holding tank. Other plans are bottom paint, a larger microwave, new stove top, automatic transfer switch, larger water heater, replace salon carpet and wood with all new wood (maybe, the current wood runs under the fridge and counters - PITA),

dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:01 AM   #3
Commander

An extended swim platform has to happen by Spring.
oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Lt. JG

My canvas is getting very old so I am thinking of replacing it. Now I have to find Lea's number
Old 10-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex'npepper View Post
Now I have to find Lea's number
Hope this saves a few minutes for ya!

http://www.letastopshop.com/

19431 Burn Rd
Arlington, WA 98223
Phone: 360-435-3067
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
Commander

I am replacing all of my Contura Rocker switches on the dash (all 9 of them).
Decided to go with the Lighted Paneltronics switches as they seem to be the only place I could find a SPDT switch (ON-ON). This is the switch for the Stern Light. Basically it has 2 power feeds and 1 run to the light. When UP it uses Feed 1 (hot wire from fuse panel) to light it up. When DOWN it uses Feed 2 which is a hot feed from another switch (turns on Bow and Stern light). Very clever design but a PITA to find a switch made this way

In the spring I think I may take the first weekend or two and buff it out as she is looking a bit weathered.
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:25 AM   #7
Commander

Carling Tech make every variation possible. I replaced all my Regal switches with the V-Series Contura lighted switches. You can get them in different colors, with or without symbols and different shapes. Custom order want you need and they are not expensive. I also replaced the gauges.

http://rocker-switches.carlingtech.c...0.asp#elibrary
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0607.JPG  
Old 10-26-2011, 01:47 AM   #8
Lt. JG

Gunna go out on Black Friday and look for a nice 20" flatscreen with a mount to put in the boat. Should be nice! Deals of the century on that day!
NJSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
Captain

the only thing i have to do is repairing the fiber where the bilgepump was placed with 3 screws. the just pumped the screws in and it has made cracks and blisters in the bilge compartiment.......so i have to buy a repair kit and install the pump without screws but with something like glue or silicone sealants.
and i have to repair my trailer.......4 wheels.....no break anymore......and i'm still on the market for a bigger boat.....but here in holland the're asking to much for a maxum.....

http://www.botentekoop.nl/zoekResultaat.aspx?zp=0

if you click on this link you see what's for sale prices are in euro's. 100.000 dollar is about 72.000 euro.....people over here are crazy they still think the economy is perfect.......some are more than 2 years for sale.....and they keep asking the same price as 2 years ago......

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
Commander

I'd like to install a fresh water shower on the swim platform on my 94 2000SC
9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:28 AM   #11
Commander

Replaced the water heater last weekend with an original Atwood 6 gallon. Couldn't go with an 11 gallon as the new holding tank I installed a few weeks back is slightly wider than the original.

Easy job. Only aggravating thing is catching the antifreeze from the heat exchanger. I was able to catch it in a bowel and pour it back in the engine when finished.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
Lieutenant

First let me say how much I envy those of you who can actually make changes and improvements during the off-season. Here in New England with the boat all closed up it seems like an eternity (mid to late March) before I can even think of opening her up and doing anything with her. 20 to 40 degree weather is just too damn cold to spend much time outside trying to make any changes. Once it is warm enough however I plan on doing away with the grey water tank and repairing the shower plumbing as needed.I also have to replace the hot water heater as it was disconnected when I bought the boat. I figure judging from the rust all around it that the tank leaked. Am going to have canvass repaired and new eisen glass installed in side curtains over the winter and hopefully save a few $$$ by having it done during the slow off season.
There you have it..I will be busy in the spring, but for now can only daydream.
Merry Christmas everyone.
ccruser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
Lieutenant

Added a second battery with a Battcom combiner, replaced all of the through hulls, amplifier for the stereo, and installing a Superflush engine flush system.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
Lt. Commander

Already removed pinstripes, am ready to do a wet sand, polish and new decals. Will put the old MAXUM gold plastic decals on ebay as they are like hens teeth!
Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #15
Commander

Warpa1 - we also plan on removing the pin stripes this winter. Our 3700 SCR has a taupe colored gelcoat strip on the sides that continues around the bow. It is outlined with vinyl pinstripes. Has any removed this stripe? And if so is the finish of the taupe gelcoat straight and clean where the stripes can be left off?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #16
Lt. Commander

I havnt removed that last one yet, i need too as its a mess from some docking. The only thing holding me back is how sharp the join in colours is. I may remove it and replace with a single gold strip instead of the multi colour on have.

This is one of the pics i took when looking for replace ments without sucess.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #17
Lt. Commander

You can get the decal off in one go and the line between the colour change is sharp on my 1997. I found using the hair drying in this position gave best results

Old 12-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #18
Admiral

Warpa keep up the good work. I can remember on my 1988 Bayliner 2150 that I took all the pin striping off with a heat gun and elbow grease. What a job! Everyone said the boat looked better.

When you are all done you might notice just what beautiful lines your maxum has and leave that way.

Have fun!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #19
Lt. Commander

Default Pin Stripe removal?

Wapa1- I was thinking of removing my worn pinstripes too. Is the blow dryer all you used? Would a heat gun be better? Do you have any tips on removal and application?
Capt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #20
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Al View Post
Wapa1- I was thinking of removing my worn pinstripes too. Is the blow dryer all you used? Would a heat gun be better? Do you have any tips on removal and application?
Blow dryer is more than enough (still burnt my fingers a bit lol) heat gun will be too hot. When you do it you get a feel of how far to keep the hair dryer, too close and the stripes get to soft and break (like melting) It left no residue to clean off and took me about an hour on 17' boat.
As to applying the new graphics i have had made i have not read the instructions that come supplies with all graphics...still wet sanding her at the moment.