Old 04-15-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
Admiral

Default What do you do for a living

it's been awhile since this one has gone around.....so..trying to get the site engergized a bit by trying to draw the newbies out some...

Welcome to the newbies and just intro yourselves a bit....

I'm Steve....I own a 2700SCR maxum sport cruiser that was an engineering test boat...it has just about every option ......so far it's been a great boat....

I work at what is affectionately known around here as the Bomber factory (aka Boeing Commercial aircraft group) in the electromagnetics effects group on the new 787 dreamliner....(or what I call it as the paperweight..)...I'm a design engineer and have about 28 yrs of experience in the electrical design field....I spent 17 yrs designing nuclear attack submarines and surface combat ships....mainly in systems integration....

what say ye!!....tell us a bit about yourselves......

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

Kind of hard to follow on to that job title but my name is Mike and I've been working in the marine accessory business for about 6 years now. I distribute Wakeboard Towers, Heaters, Speed control, Tower accessories, Marine Audio and other bits and bobs around the UK and Europe.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Im Andy from the UK, I have recently bought a 1900sr and the summer is on its way so looking forward to making the most of it!

Ive never designed any attack anything and now im worried about getting on the wrong side of Steve!!

I am currently a firefighter and have been for 4 years.
Before that spent 10 years teaching watersports.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:21 AM   #4
Commander

I am an IT, Sr Systems Analyst for a national HMO. Under paid, over worked and long for the weekend starting every Monday morning. :wink: Man was NOT meant to work in a cube all day.

Steve, we were just talking about the 787 over at my race forum and a member who works at Boeing was telling us about the differences between the 777 and the 787.

"The 777 components were brought in and assembled at Everett, wired, then sent to the Boeing Field make-ready facility for fitting out the interiors to customer spec. Many more of the components were made by Boeing Auburn or Everett.

The 787 is being built by vendor as sub-assemblies completely wired and will be "snapped" together at Everett. Each sub-assembly is supposed to come complete including all wiring, tubing, etc.

Seriously ambitious, and since it's never been done before there is no road map to follow. They've bet the farm, so they have to make it work. If their subcontractors don't perform there is no plan B.

Not only do all those subs need to stay on schedule, all the inspection needs to be done before shipment.

Easy to see the advantage to Boeing. Instead of an airplane takes weeks or months to build, all the while taking up floor space, Boeing plans to assemble the sub-assemblies and roll the plane in a week. The concept is brilliant but kick starting such a complex operation is an epic undertaking.

On every level this is a revolutionary process. Among the aspects rarely discussed are all the processes being brought to bear on the component management and assembly process once the sub-assemblies arrive. Instead of the huge and unwieldy hard tooling that has been traditionally used to align sub-assemblies for assembly they are using computerized alignment systems (aka soft tooling) to align and position properly everything properly as it goes together. They also have a computerized system of managing the sub-assemblies as they hit the shop floor. While these are all existing technologies are being used on a scale of complexity no company has ever attempted.

Historically they have gotten it right a lot more often than they have gotten it wrong, but this program defines the word ambitious
."

Would you concur? I'd love to hear your take on this.
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:03 AM   #5
Admiral

Wow Racer,...sounds like you guys have been reading alot of the aerospace mags.....although your about 90% right.....
the 777 is completely assembled...tested...and delivered here in everett....all assemblies and subassemblies are installed right here....the fuselage sections are built everywhere else....tail and rudder are built in fredrickson while all landing gear is manufactured at goodyear in everett also...engines are assembled at the PSD site at boeing field in south seattle and trucked up too us..all wiring harness's are manufactured here at the wire shop..........everything comes in just in time...it takes 10 mos. from customer order to delivery....

the 787 is being constructed in main sections called barrel sections...these sections are flown to spirit for attachement...then the 3 sections are flown with the wingsets to us for final assembly in everett......yes...all sections are to be complete....wiring/piping/hvac..etc....as stated ..this is a monumental attempt to make a plane in 3 days.....yep...we're trying to get a plane to roll in one end of the factory on day 1....3 days later...comes out the other end finished except paint.....so....that's the plan...however..trying to get people from all over the world to 1)work to quality...2) work to our ethic's and finally to work on time....is a real major task....people in other parts of the world don't have the sense for the quality we're asking for nor the time table....it really has alot of us very frustrated.....airplane 1 came in basically bare....we had no fasteners and the wiring and piping was nowhere to be seen....personally I hate working with the french....won't go into it much but suffice it to say that we have them here and everything you've heard is just about true....

SP...
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 04-16-2008, 05:16 AM   #6
Ensign

Hi there
I'm a new proud owner of a 2700 SE -08 (not in water yet) and I hope to stay that way. Still could here in Sweden, but we hope that will change in a few weeks.
Work as a sales manager in Nordics (Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland) for a oil company (Castrol). I have worked with oil since I was 15 years old (43 now) and I think I know the most things to know about oil.
We are not so many Maxum owners in Sweden yet, so I will probaly need some help from you guys in the future.

Nice to be part of the gang

Kotte
Old 04-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
Wow Racer,...sounds like you guys have been reading alot of the aerospace mags.....although your about 90% right.....
the 777 is completely assembled...tested...and delivered here in everett....all assemblies and subassemblies are installed right here....the fuselage sections are built everywhere else....tail and rudder are built in fredrickson while all landing gear is manufactured at goodyear in everett also...engines are assembled at the PSD site at boeing field in south seattle and trucked up too us..all wiring harness's are manufactured here at the wire shop..........everything comes in just in time...it takes 10 mos. from customer order to delivery....

the 787 is being constructed in main sections called barrel sections...these sections are flown to spirit for attachement...then the 3 sections are flown with the wingsets to us for final assembly in everett......yes...all sections are to be complete....wiring/piping/hvac..etc....as stated ..this is a monumental attempt to make a plane in 3 days.....yep...we're trying to get a plane to roll in one end of the factory on day 1....3 days later...comes out the other end finished except paint.....so....that's the plan...however..trying to get people from all over the world to 1)work to quality...2) work to our ethic's and finally to work on time....is a real major task....people in other parts of the world don't have the sense for the quality we're asking for nor the time table....it really has alot of us very frustrated.....airplane 1 came in basically bare....we had no fasteners and the wiring and piping was nowhere to be seen....personally I hate working with the french....won't go into it much but suffice it to say that we have them here and everything you've heard is just about true....

SP...
Great stuff, I love it!!!
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Location: Commuting weekly from South Central Idaho. Got Water?

Welcome to 'Euro' Maxum (just kidding). Seems like most of the regular posties are outside of North America. That is awesome! I knew a few 'Maxum' owners were abroad, just not here.

I'm Dave and I'm now living my 'second' life. I spent the past 28 years serving Uncle Sam in the Air Force and Air National Guard as a fulltime employee. I had the opportunity to travel hundreds of times, all the continents visited, too many wonderful cities to ever list. And while there, I made the most of the visits, meeting people and enjoying what each country had to offer. Then in 2006, I retired. Had enough of travel 'without' my family. I still carry the flag, just not 'armed and dangerous' anymore.

At the time I was planning my departure, the 'Lazy B' (Boeing) courted me with an offer I could not refuse (I need 'play' money). I now manage a crew of 'top shelf' mechanics installing a safety mod to the Air Force KC-135 refuelers. I work on the same base I spent the past 26 years at, only more relaxed

I live in Washington State on the 'eastside' (ie: dry) next to North Idaho. Recreation opportunities are abundunt here, often over-lapping each other. I love the water, both boating and diving and love the winter, skiing as much as I can. I also am on the ski patrol. Right now it is cold (0c or 32F), tons of snow in the mountains, and the water too cold to even think about anything but fishing. All of the ski resorts have closed, too many skiers giving up to get their boats ready and cleaning their yards. we had an 'epic' winter with lots of snow. I mountain bike, road bike, pretty much anything with wheels, powered by fossil fuels or human.

Oh ya, I have a 1995 2300SC that we bought last year and thoroughly love it. I just had it wet sanded and detailed, I plan to post some pic's. Looks brand new (or better).

Anyway, enough babbling, glad to be here and thanks in advance for all the advice and help.

Keels down,
Dave

"If you look like your passport photo, you probably need the trip"
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:36 AM   #9
Ensign

Default saying Hi

new to maxums but not boating... i work for mutual materials and run a tunnel kiln, been their 36 years and hope to retire in a couple of years. my wife and i love boating in the south sound (puget) and hope to expand to the north sound with the bigger boat

i see that several of the members are from the puget sound area....

hope that maybe some day will see you on the water 8)
Gary&Lois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Location: Commuting weekly from South Central Idaho. Got Water?

Hi Gary. Welcome to the forum. I live on 'eastside' but my Dad lives in Federal Way. Great area to boat. I plan to get over that way myself. I like to dive and nothing better than the sound for that (at least in the Northwest).

Pull a few crab pots for me.

Dave

"If you look like your passport photo, you probably need the trip"
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
Admiral

hey gary...glad your here...welcome to the zoo....hope to see you out there......next weekend we're hoping to get to poulsbo for the weekend...maybe you can make it up there...
enjoy the new boat and post some here.....
:wink:
SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 04-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

I'm a programme Director in the Telecomms industry ... been there for 15 years .. I run a team of Programme & Project Managers, based in 8 countries ... and cover Europe Middle East & Africa.
used to fly somewhere weekly, now only every 3 weeks now so much better.

Prior to that I worked in various roles in Electronics & Engineering.

I was in the reserve Armed forces for 10 years, and did time in many countries, France, Germany, US, Hong Kong, as a Major I ran an Infantry Company.

Hobbies .. other than playing on boats are Scuba Diving ... travel whenever & wherever I can diving .... did Mexico last month, diving the submerged Cenote caves in the Mayan Jungle.

My most frequented place diving is Red Sea ... best dive there to date was the Thistlegorm ... a British ship bombed by Germans in 1941 .... the big thing is that the holds are full of trucks, motorbikes, shells, aircraft parts ... even has steam engines on the deck .... outstanding dive.

I have also built 2 houses (yep physically built them) ... and currently building a a large boat store & car port.

I am in S.Wales UK ... right on the coast.
Have had boats for 30 years - all trailer boats, currently a 2007 1800SR3
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:08 AM   #13
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to Flying_Maxum

I am Michael, I have a '97 2100 SR2, and love it. I work in Telecom Engineering - FTTP/HFC in Atlanta, GA but I still dont know what I want to be when I grow up!
Old 04-26-2008, 07:36 AM   #14
Lt. JG

My name is David, I have a 1994 XR1800 that I bought from a nonprofit missions/church organization called boat angel. I replaced the motor with a new Yamaha 115 4 stroke and have been restoring it back to good working order.
This is my first boat but I have worked offshore on boats all my life. I started commercial fishing 100-150 miles off the coast of Massachusetts and Rhode Island in 1976, when things slowed down in the 90s I moved south and started working offshore in the Gulf of Mexico on oil drilling rigs. I now work for a company that sells drilling fluids and I maintain the fluids on location / platforms, jackups, semi-submersables ect.
Staying on boats in the open water or even just hanging out at the dock you find that boat people are not like other people, I can travel anyplace with a duffle bag of my things and make the most of it. I guess when it's in your blood there is no going back.
djsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:16 PM   #15

My name is Steve, I live in NH and boat in Ct. (I have friends there and it's a shorter drive than it sounds). I grew up on the cruisers my parents owned, and recently bought a 1997 2800 SCR.

I've been a IT System Administrator for a number of years. I moved into a Technical Support role as a Principal Support Engineer for a software company about 3 years ago. I haven't decided whether I like working for a company suporting their systems or working for a software company supporting System Admins (our software is used by System Administrators), so I support the people that do the job I used to to do.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #16
Admiral

Steve..welcome to the zoo...I've been to new london once...went there to survey a sub at the naval base...a looooong time ago...anyway...welcome

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 04-30-2008, 02:43 AM   #17
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to T.A. Sarles Send a message via Yahoo to T.A. Sarles
Default Here on the inland leg of the loop

I am T.A., a former Military guy, turned house husband and stay on the boat dad, as well as a elementary school teacher (my paying job :wink: ) as my wife is currently in the service and leaves for parts in the news on occassion (lol). Anyway, I just moved up to a 1994 2400SCR from an 18 ft Four Winns bowrider, and while i am having a few issues i am sure that i can lean on you all for a little help now and then. For those ever in the TVA Area (Tenn River, Ken Lake, Lake Barkley, Cumberland River) give a shout.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:59 AM   #18
Admiral

TA...first off...welcome to the zoo...2nd..thanks for your wife and your service...I'm ex-AF..navy brat...and spent 17 yrs designing nuke subs and surface combat ships.....so...been there done that...

3rd....lean away...we're here for boats......

SP..
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 04-30-2008, 07:16 AM   #19
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
....personally I hate working with the french....won't go into it much but suffice it to say that we have them here and everything you've heard is just about true....

SP...
Interesting comment - I'm not English, and know the English & French simply do not get on (except when they need help to turf out Germans every so often)

However the biggest competitor to Boeing must be AirBus ... which is an incredible success story, taking huge volumes of business off Boeing.
Here the constituent parts are made in different countries .. and shipped to one location for assembly .... i.e wings are made in Wales and shipped to France for bolting onto the cabin.
Engines in England, cabin in Germany .. etc.

The new A380 is being hailed as an amazing plane - twin deck throughout .. not been on one yet, but will be flying Airbus from UK to Texas next week.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:15 AM   #20
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to markwebb2161
Default Teamster / Driver

When I am not on the water in my 1993 2700SCR headed to Catalina Island off of the Southern California coast, I work in the entetainment industry on a television show called "Heroes" for NBC/Universal.

I am in the transportation department, which a inflated term for a truck driver. I have been doing this for 13 years now and played baseball prior to that.

I've been boating for almost 20 years and have went from a Bayliner, to a Sun Runner, to a Larson (loved it) and now a Maxum (love it even more)

Mark

markwebb2161 is offline   Reply With Quote