Old 03-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default waterproofing canvas

Hi

Anyone have any good recommendations? I see the starbrite product and the 303 product. I'm wondering which is better? The 303 product is more expensive and, if worth it, I'd rather have the better product. Also do not see the reason to waste the extra dough, if they are basically the same.

Thanks

Dan

All Summer Long II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:54 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

I sold my 1990 2755 SCR a few years ago. It had been given the 303 protection every spring before launch since purchased in 1990. The canvas on the boat looked like it was brand new when I sold her. 303 is absolutely the best you can get, and is the product recommended by Sunbrella for use on their canvas.

The eisenglass also got the 303 treatment, and it never yellowed, became brittle, or crack.

Follow the 303 application guidelines and you'll never regret it.
Attached Thumbnails
Taking stuff off the boat - Oct.2, 2015 004.JPG  

jimq26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:58 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

I'll let you know on the Starbrite. I'm getting my boat ready for the water. I took the shrink wrap off yesterday and put the canvas on. With today predicting rain I went down to the boat to do some inside cleaning. As soon as the rain started the water immediately started coming through the canvas in multiple spots. I left the boat, stopped at West Marine and picked up a gallon of Starbrite waterproofing. I will give the top a coating tomorrow if it's dry and a second coat on Tuesday. I'll let you know if it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sph801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:38 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Thanks Fellas. @sph801 I look forward to hearing your results.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:29 PM   #5

If the canvas is Sunbrella, then they recommend 303 products specifically. I use the 303 products with great success.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:16 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

2nd coat of Starbrite went on today. See what happens....

Old 04-05-2021, 12:57 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

Nothing definitive yet but we got rain on and off for 2 days after spraying the top. Friday when I got to the boat there was no standing water on the table, seats or helm where it was soaked prior to spraying. There was some water on the floor where there ice maker used to be but a little is normal for my boat due to water coming in under the center windshield section, running around the channel and dripping onto the wet bar then onto the floor (I'm working on a solution to this). So to sum it up it appears the Starbrite waterproofing worked but I won't know for sure until I'm in it during rain.

Old 04-16-2021, 11:25 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

We had 2 days of rain. Where I was we had 3" of snow! But where the boat is it was just rain. I give high marks to the Starbrite waterproofing. The canvas had zero leaks! I'm sure the 303 product works just as well but I'm going to buy some more Starbrite and periodically coat the top to maintain it's integrity. Hope this helped.

Old 04-16-2021, 11:49 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

I've been using 303 with good results. Make sure you'll apply generous amount of the product. Any form of wind won't be good and will result in using more product. I don't have experience with the other products but when my cover done freshly it repels water like crazy. It almost looks like magic
forbes210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:39 AM   #10
Captain

Thanks for posting your results, I’ve been a die-heart 303 guy for many years, but it’s good to know there is another option.
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:26 AM   #11
Admiral

303 is the bomb diggity but sounds like there is a cheaper less effective alternative.....
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:15 AM   #12
Lt. JG

I’m waiting for a Sunny/warmer day here in NJ to apply the 303 I purchased... has been too rainy and not warm enough yet. Couple more weeks and I hope to be done. I read bees wax also helps with zippers. I notify the seems and the zippers also drip a bit. You guys do anything special there?
Old 04-17-2021, 11:58 AM   #13
Captain

Nothing special on my Bimini (sunbrella fabric) for the seams. Just a good soak in 303 from both sides.

On my small boat with the lighter (no name) fabric, I had to resew the seams as the stitching was loose and the fabric had stretched leaving actual holes around the thread. Nothing filled those voids very well, so overstitching was my best bet. Then the 303.

For the zippers, which are YKK vision, I use the ZippyCool product.

I’ve used paraffin for seams and zippers on some of my camping equipment, but it only helps a little and needs regular maintenance.

jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote