Old 07-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
L&R
Ensign

Unhappy Water Supply Question

Just bought a 2400 SE a few weeks ago. All systems were checked and working, including fresh water system. Ran water supply tank until empty, then poured several gallons of water into water fill in back of boat. Turned on water pump switch, but water is not coming out of any of the faucets--in cabin or at transom. No water leaking, can see water in the tank, pump is running. Someone suggested might be "air bound." Any suggestions/solutions?

L&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #2

Those should be self-priming pumps. I've never had an issue running it dry, then filling it again. Those pumps should also run when dry. I'd start by using a VoltMeter to make sure you are getting 12V to the pump.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Welcome aboard L&R, congrats on the purchase.

Agreed, have never had a problem with mine running dry - the pumps should self prime. When switched on the pump builds pressure in the system, and if no valves are opened, the pump should stop running - until a valve is opened. Does the pump ever stop running while still switched on?

Nevertheless, if the tank has water, and the pump is running, and there are no leaks - can only be a couple of things. The pump likely has a filter on it, probably a clear plastic screw on/off cover with a fine screen within - make sure that screen isn't clogged with spooge. If that is clear then possible each fawcet is clogged - though not likely. Also try filling the holding tank to the top. If it is a pump prime issue perhaps the extra weight of the additional gallons will force water into the pump. If all that fails - new pump.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

AHHHH - I can help you with this one. My pump (like yours) might be wearing out a little. If I run mine completely dry it takes me to fill the water tank completely.

Try filling the tank and overflowing it, let it run out of the vent holes and over the side. Then turn on the pump and the sink. Mine works like a charm after that.
tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
L&R
Ensign

Thanks, Dan. I did see the clear cover filter, but was unable to take it off by hand...will bring a soft strap wrench and try again. Will certainly try completely filling the holding tank first. Great suggestions...appreciate your input.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
L&R
Ensign

Tackleshep,

Thanks...sounds very much like what we've experienced. Will give it a go and see if we get results. Enjoy your boating season.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
Lt. JG

I had the same problem and after spending a hour or so I found the pump and she was stuck and hot as heck. I want to replace it so I don't have any problems later. Any recommendations? I have found one at Overton's but I don't think it's right since it's 50 psi (seems high). http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...ID=1015&r=view
Thanks!
brianbossman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

If you can find the manufacturer and model of your existing pump you might be able to find an exact replacement.

Is exactly what I did when I had to replace mine.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote