Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-29-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default water pressure

I noticed on my 08 2900 smart craft gauges a difference in the water pressure from port to stbd engines. The stbd motor runs about 22 psi at 3800 rpms and the port side runs about 8.5 psi at the same rpm, which pressure is right ( I'm thinking the lower one ) and what might be causing the difference?

bmax

Old 09-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #2

FWC or RWC? I don't have psi guages, so i couldn't speak to that. However, I would guess that the higher number would be correct. Overheating issues are caused by blockages which restrict water flow and reduce the cooling. I've never heard of someone with too much water flow. Even in FWC engines, calcium and junk can build up in the heat exchanger. Typically, even in FWC, the engine is closed cooling, but the mainfolds and risers are raw water cooled. My fuel pump is raw water cooled as well. blockages in the manifolds and risers are also pretty common. What are the temps on both engines?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks Shrew ...Everything is raw water cooled, engine temps are identical at just under 160 F, from the port engine i have lines running to the domestic water heater, maybe this would drop water pressure?? but I doubt it. I don't know if the pressure would be similar to a car motor or not but I always thought that they ran around 8 to 10 lbs.

bmax